Sign in to follow this  
Gr8 White Jr

Jackson Pulls A Double On His 1st Hunt!

After the fall draw results came out last July I had been very much looking forward to Jackson's first hunt. For those of you who don't already know, Jackson is my girlfriend Angie's son. He passed his hunters education course in July and just turned 10 at the end of September making him 100% legal. We were able to pick Jackson up a javelina tag that was good for the same unit at the same time as his deer hunt so we would be 'double dipping' on this hunt. What a great opportunity to have on a first hunt. Our plans were to hunt opening morning through Monday night but unfortunately after 81 years of a good healthy life my Grandfather passed away about a week before Jackson's hunt started. Plans changed after that. My Grandfather's funeral was on Saturday, the second day of the hunt, so plans were changed to us leaving early on Sunday morning.

We were up early Sunday morning and headed out of town in hopes of making it to our hunting area in time for the morning hunt. David, Jackson's dad, fallowed us down in hopes of being there to witness his son take his 1st big game animal. My best friend Jon and his son Zach also followed us down. Zach just turned 10 in August and although he didn't have a deer tag he was able to get a javelina tag.

We made it down to our hunting area right at first light and spent the morning glassing for deer and javelina. After a few hours of glassing and only a few does and a spike being seen we hiked back to our vehicles and went to look for a good place to set up camp. After setting up camp and getting everything situated we headed out for the evening hunt. Only some does and a few spikes were seen that evening and all were too far for Jackson to shoot.

Early Monday morning Angie had to leave and head back to Phx to be at work by 9am. Jackson, David and myself went to an area I like to hunt and glassed for deer all morning. I glassed up a nice 2x2 so Jackson and I headed out to make a stalk while David stayed back to watch through the binos. Jackson and I hiked our buts off to get into position for a shot only to have the buck top over the ridge just before I could get Jackson set up behind the rifle. The morning was pretty much over by the time we hiked back to David so we headed back to camp. David had to head back to Phx later that night so for the evening we hunted an area that would be closer to the highway to give him a jump start on his travel home. All that was seen during our evening glassing session were does. The hunt was half way over at this point and I knew we needed to step it up if we were going to get these tags filled in the next two days.

Tuesday morning we headed to an area I have hunted in the past. I have always seen deer in this area and although I see a lot of javelina sign I have never actually seen any javelina in this area. I told Jon that him and Zach were more than welcome to go with us and glass. I told him that I was going in there mainly for deer but you just never know, we may get lucky and see some pigs. Jon and Zach decided they wanted to go with Jackson and I so the four of us were off for the day with 3 tags to fill. Right off the bat as we hiked in to the first spot I wanted to glass I spotted a big 3x3 walking down the same hill we were on. He was only 80 yards away and had no idea that we were there but was headed for the thick bottom. I immediately dropped to the ground and told everybody to get down. I pulled my rifle out of the scabbard on my pack and told Jackson to crawl to me. I got the rifle set up on my tripod with the Gun Claw and then tried to relocate the buck. I searched and searched but could not relocate the buck. As I was glassing the thick bottom below us, which is where I thought the buck had disappeared into, I heard a loud roar come from further up the ridge to my left. I looked back at Jon and told him, “I know that sound, that was a javelina!” Jon looked at me with a big smile on his face and nodded. I turned in the direction of the sound and started picking apart the brushy hillside. Sure enough, there was a big herd of pigs milling around on the same ridge that we were on just 430 yards away. I told Jon and the boys that I had located the herd but I wanted to leave them be and keep trying to relocate the buck. “They are pigs, they aren't going anywhere so I lets try to find the buck first” is what I told them. After 15 minutes and no sign of the buck I could tell that Jon and both boys were getting antsy to go after the pigs. I decided to call off the search for the buck. Before we made our stalk on the pigs I wanted to get a few land marks noted and range a few locations that I thought the boys could shoot from. As I was making my mental notes the entire herd started to head away and topped over the hill and out of sight. Of course! Right when we are getting ready to stalk the herd they decide to top over. I noted where they topped over and was just getting ready to put my binos down when I saw the big buck we had seen earlier heading up the same hill the pigs were on. That must have been why the pigs moved on. I got Jackson behind the rifle immediately and dialed the turret for the shot. I asked Jackson if he could see the buck and he said “yes”. “Are you steady? Are the crosshairs bouncing around or are they right on the buck”, I asked. “They are right on him!” I told Jackson that when he was ready to slowly squeeze the trigger. BOOM! I watched the vapor trail as the bullet hit inches in front of the buck. I chambered another round in the rifle and told Jackson to get on him again. The buck walked slowly over the ridge and never presented us another shot opportunity. I was very disappointed that Jackson missed such a nice buck but at the same time I knew it wasn't over yet, we still had pigs to go after. We packed up our gear and headed off to find the herd of pigs.

As we got to the hill where I last saw the pigs top over I told Jon and the boys to stay back and let me sneak over and try to relocate the herd. It wasn't long before I spotted two pigs bedded down laying in the sunshine. I waived the boys over to me and told them to come slowly and quietly. The pigs were right at 171 yards across a small cut and the shots would have to be taken from where we were at. The plan was to have Jackson shoot first off of the claw and then immediately move and let Zach get behind the gun and shoot another pig. Jackson got behind the gun and found the bedded javelina in the scope. I told him to aim low right behind the shoulder and slowly squeeze the trigger. BOOM! All I saw was a pig go belly up and then roll down the hill. Pig number one DOWN! Jackson moved out from behind the rifle and Zack quickly moved in to take his place. The herd didn't move much and all the pigs were up out of their beds. I got the rifle on a pig standing in the open. Zach got behind the gun and I told him the cross hairs were right on a pig. I asked him if he could see it and he said “no, I see a rock”. I asked him, “Does that rock have a white stripe on it?” “Yes” he replied. I told Zach, “Shoot that rock right in the stripe.” BOOM! Missed! I quickly got him back on another pig, BOOM! Missed again! The herd was scattering around the hillside at this point. Finally they started to settle down and I was able to get Zach on another pig for one last shot. “Make it count”, I told him. BOOM! Whack! I see a pig spinning in circles and running down the hillside toward the bottom and then disappeared into the brush. Awesome! We high fived and then headed to find the downed pigs. Jackson's pig was easy to find, laying right under where it was originally bedded. We tagged it and went looking for Zach's pig. We fallowed the very heavy blood trail right to a small cave where Zach's pig had expired and was laying with just its head sticking out. We drug it out of the cave and started the pack out. What a great morning! Two Jr hunters tagging out on their first big game animals at the same time! The boys were very excited and Jon and I were very proud to say the least. After a photo session we skinned the pigs and got them on ice.

Jon had to be to work the next morning so him and Zach headed home while Jackson and I went out for the evening hunt to try to find a buck. Of course now that the pig tags were filled all we glassed that evening were pigs.

The next morning Jackson and I were up early and at a new glassing point at first light. It was our last day to hunt so as I glassed and glassed I was desperate to find a buck. After two hours of glassing and seeing about 20 does we moved to a different glassing point. Right away I found a spike so we wasted no time and we headed off to make a stalk. We got to 339 yards and I was contemplating having Jackson shoot from there. After weighing our options I decided that we could get closer so we moved in closer. We got to a predetermined spot and were now 220 yards from where I had last seen the small buck but could not relocate him to save my life. The hillside was pretty open so there weren't too many places for a deer to hide. After scanning the entire hillside over and over again for a good 30 minutes I figured the buck must have topped over the ridge so we headed back to the truck.

With the morning hunt over I was feeling the pressure as we only had one evening left to get Jackson his first buck. After a good lunch we packed up most of our gear and headed out for our last evening. We got to our glassing point early to give it our all for our last chance. I sat down and started glassing thinking it was still too early to really see anything yet. Just as that thought entered my head I spotted a deer topping over ridge toward us. It was 3 ridges away so even through my 15's I could barely make out that it was a spike. Right behind him came a 75” to 80” 3x3, and right behind him a BIG 3x3 and then a BIG 4x4. Holy smokes! I've never seen a true 4x4 on the hoof so I was very excited! I told Jackson that I had found four bucks but they were really far. I explained to him that this was our last chance and that if he really wanted to get a buck that we were really going to have to hurry and cover a lot of ground quick. I told him, “this is what we have been waiting for.” All the practice, all the hiking, all the glassing was all for this very moment. “Lets make it happen!” I asked Jackson if he was ready and he gave me a big “yes” so we were off.

We made really good time and dropped into two canyons and topped over two ridges in just over an hour. As we topped the last ridge we crawled slowly down side of it. The bucks had moved down lower in the canyon so we were trying to get as low as we could to cut as much of the distance and the angle off of the shot. We found a nice flat spot and I set my rifle up on the Claw and had Jackson get behind it. I picked apart the opposite side of the canyon trying to find the bigger bucks. I glassed and glassed but could only find the smaller bucks and about 10 does. It was really neat watching the smaller 3x3 chasing does around, neck stretched out lip curling and he even tried to mount a doe at one point. I have never seen that kind of full rut activity that early in the year so it was definitely a surprise.

After about 45 minutes of glassing and not being able to find the bigger bucks I asked Jackson if he just wanted to get a deer. Of course he said yes. It was getting really late and we had less than an hour of shooting light left. With a 75 to 80” 3x3 standing right in front of us I thought we better just take what we have presented to us on the last evening. After all, we would have been ecstatic to shoot a buck like this on the first day, let alone the last day. The decision was made to take the 3x3 we could see so Jackson found the buck in the scope and prepared for the shot. The buck was 365 yards and perfectly broadside. I dialed the turret and told Jackson to hold right on him. “Take him when you feel solid”, I said. BOOM! I watched the vapor trail of the bullet as it went right under the bucks chest. My stomach sank as I watched all the deer start scattering all over the canyon side. I helped Jackson get back on the buck for another shot. I told him not to shoot until I found the buck in by binos so I could watch the shot. As I was sweeping the canyon side with my binos I found the BIG 3x3 from earlier. “Don't shoot, don't shoot!” I told Jackson that I had found one of the bigger bucks. I helped him find the big buck in the scope and then talked him through the shot. “This is our last chance, remember the trigger control we practiced so much before the hunt and take your time and kill that buck”. The buck was quartering away and standing with one hind leg up forward like he was frozen in the middle of a step. I told Jackson to put the cross hairs right in front of that hind leg. BOOM! WHACK! The shot was a little far back but the buck was hit hard. I told Jackson he hit the buck but he had to get another round in him. Jackson's nerves really got the best of him at this point. He was shaking pretty bad and really had a hard time finding the buck again. Once he got the buck back in the scope he tried over and over again to put another round in the buck but missed four times because he was so nervous. With every miss the buck would try to run and by this time had slowly moved down the canyon side and was now at 475 yards. Way out of Jackson's range but we had no choice but to try to put this buck down. Still standing the buck was perfectly broadside. I had Jackson take a few long deep breaths as I dialed the turret to 475. I explained to Jackson that his buck wasn't going anywhere but he needed to try to calm down and make a good clean shot to finish him. Jackson took his time and took one more shot. BOOM! I watched that bullet as it hit the buck perfectly, low right behind the shoulder. The buck kicked and went on a 200 yard death run tearing through every bush and cactus in its path down to the bottom of the canyon. He disappeared over a small berm so I made a mental note of where to pick up on his trail.

Light was fading fast so we gathered our gear and moved quickly to where we last saw the buck go over the berm. It took us about 20 minutes to get over there and right away I found blood. We fallowed the blood right to Jackson's buck. The buck seemed to get bigger as we walked up to it. We were both so excited that we had pulled it off at the last minute. As we looked at his buck reality started to set in as I thought about how far back in we were from the truck and it was getting dark. I set Jackson up with his trophy real quick for some pictures. I didn't have time to set up my regular camera as I was racing the fading light so I just snapped a couple pics with my cell phone. I got to work quick and caped and quartered the buck. With all the gear I was carrying I could only take two quarters, the hide, head and antlers out with us that night.

My pack was loaded down and I knew we were in for a long hike out in the dark. When we got to the top of the first ridge I called Jackson's dad, David to let him know that we were going to have to stay another night. I was supposed to have Jackson home Wednesday night so he could spend Thanks Giving with his dad. I explained to David that we were going to have to leave the rest of the buck in the bottom of the canyon and come back in the morning to get it. He completely understood and was so happy and so proud of Jackson. We continued our long hike out. By the time we reached the truck and got something to eat it was 11:30 before we got to bed.

The next morning came quickly and at first light we were headed back in to retrieve the rest of Jackson's buck. After getting it all back to the truck we took a few more pictures and headed home.

What a hunt! I was just hoping that we would fill at least one of Jackson's two tags on his first hunt and not only did we fill both tags but we filled both tags with trophy animals. Jackson's Javelina was an old grey boar with a HUGE head. Definitely an old pig that had lived a long life. Jackson's buck was an old warrior as well. He had pretty worn teeth and was probably on the decline. The buck will score in the low to mid 90's.

This was one of the most meaningful hunts I have ever been on. After the very hard loss of my grandfather, getting to spend such a great time with Jackson out in God's country was exactly what I needed. I know my Grandfather was watching down on us with a big smile enjoying our success with us.

Thanks to David for coming out and hunting with us and for being understanding about me getting Jackson home so late on Thanks Giving day. Thanks to everybody who stuck with me through another one of my long stories and of course thanks to Amanda for this wonderful site where we can share our adventures with each other!

-Tracy

Out practicing shooting with Jackson before the hunt.

post-1275-0-51252900-1323064461_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-82416000-1323064568_thumb.jpg

1st morning of the hunt.

post-1275-0-19606500-1323064718_thumb.jpg

Angie called my name and snapped my pic right as I looked into the sun. <_< :lol:

post-1275-0-52217000-1323064858_thumb.jpg

Jackson and Zach. Hard to believe they are the same age. :blink: Jackson had quite the crazy hair going that day. :lol:

post-1275-0-53244100-1323065000_thumb.jpg

Angie and I at camp. :D

post-1275-0-13629900-1323065133_thumb.jpg

Jackson playing with the camp fire.

post-1275-0-65813200-1323065219_thumb.jpg

Jackson with his 1st big game animal. Wooohooo!!!

post-1275-0-01287200-1323065312_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-98487600-1323065362_thumb.jpg

Zach and Jackson with their javelina.

post-1275-0-78942200-1323065459_thumb.jpg

Jon and I with the boys.

post-1275-0-85553300-1323065559_thumb.jpg

Packing the pigs out. The boys sure got off easy on this one!

post-1275-0-85360200-1323065634_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-70477500-1323065649_thumb.jpg

Jackson's 1st kill stripes! B)

post-1275-0-09632700-1323065753_thumb.jpg

Jackson with his 1st buck! What a great 1st buck!

post-1275-0-77023300-1323065863_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-22033800-1323065899_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-60061700-1323065917_thumb.jpg

post-1275-0-62689300-1323065944_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, Jackson wanted to do a silly pic. :rolleyes: :lol:

post-1275-0-55130400-1323065966_thumb.jpg

Awesome! Congratulations to Jackson on a couple of great animals. Sorry for your loss but there's nothing like getting out in the woods to clear your head. Hunting with youth is one of the best feelings there is and it seems you know it. Congrats again!

Awesome job again to Jackson! Wish I could have been there! dang weddings....

Congrats to Jackson and Zach on their success. Looks like a bedroom will have a real nice coues adorning a wall soon. I bet the boys' sherpas had a great time also.

Nice job Jackson and Zach! Awesome Tracy, great write-up too. Sorry for the loss of your Grandfather, I think you are right, he was looking down with a big 'ol smile on his face watching you and the people you love enjoy doing something you are obviously so passionate about!

Congratulations to all of you. Great memories from this hunt will last forever. Tracy thanks for a great writeup. It is a little weird but I actually had a little adrenalin rush while reading the kill sequence for the buck. I especially commend you for your dedication and patience to take so much time to make sure these boys have wonderful memories.

Yes it was a long read but worth every word. Peg & I send our condolences. You bet he was watching down from above and smiling. Congratulations to Jackson and Zach on their pigs and another congratulations to Jackson on his huge buck. These boys had one of the nicest guys, I've had the pleasure of meeting, to guide them through their first hunt. Your passion for the sport not only shows in your writing but in your great personality. You are what a mentor is all about. :)

TJ

I want to send a big Thank You to Tracy! He has such patience when it comes to helping other people and especially kids! Jackson was so excited about the hunt! Wish I could have stayed longer and seen my baby boy take his first pig or deer but I knew he was in the best hands ever! These boys did an awesome job and I can't wait for next year! (I have already requested Jackson's pig hunt off :), no missing out again :angry: )

Great job on the double! that's one heck of a coues buck too!

Nice to see you all took so many pictures. I'm sure you've looked at them over and over.