Sign in to follow this  
Huntr Pat

How good does Javelina taste

We either grind it up and make sausage with it or Crock pot it into shredded BBQ or with Green chili's for burro's and taco's.

i always take the backstraps - wrap in bacon - slow cookin crock pot - you can use a rub spice if wanted but always great - i usually just use a little lemon pepper - serve with rice or noodles

rest is beer brats or some other sausage or cook and shred like stated above

This year we started thin cutting the backstraps and panfrying them served with potatoes and gravy. I also cooked the tenderloins on the bbq with a little seasoning and was pleasently surprised. The rest we crockpot and shred into whatever sounds good or make brats out of. Take good care of it in the field is the key to any game meat. Having stinkpig for dinner tonight as a matter of fact.

the best advice is to just don't shoot one. get a tag, go huntin'. just don't shoot one. shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddder. i just can't gag it down. i'm glad folks can, but not me. if i do make a mistake and shoot one, i find some poor taste challenged feller to give it to. Lark.

I'm with Lark on this. The only way I've found to eat javelina meat is to bury and barbecue it for 24 hours in a mesquite-fired pit, and that's a lot of work unless you have three or four to do at one time. Haven't tried a Crock Pot, and may do it some day because I love to hunt them. Problem is, I'd have to cook it outside because my wife and I hate the smell when it is cooking.

Bill Quimby

we usually crockpot it or do sausage/jerky. the trick is to use one knife to skin it, and the other knife to bone it out, so you dont get any smell on the meat

We always take our pigs to a meat processor and have it all made into either chorizo, brats, polish kielbasa or spicy Italian sausage. Chorizo and spicy Italian sausage are my favorite!

-Tracy

Depends on how hungry you are...

Topic should read "How bad does Javelina taste?"

Ron

I kept waiting for that one, I was surprised it made it all the way to 9 posts. We shot a couple and my buddy said he prefered it to the elk we shot. I would not go that far, but I certainly didn't find the taste offensive. I want to get one this year and pound a steak with a meat tenterizer until it is super thin and make country fried steaks.

I guess I'm going to be in the minority here - I really like it. Yes, I've come across a couple that were really strong, but for the most part if they are well cared for in the field they can be very tasty (even mild).

Keep the meat clean and be careful not to touch the hair and then touch the meat. That's usually how people transfer the rank musky taste to the meat.

Good luck.

I'm with Lark on this. The only way I've found to eat javelina meat is to bury and barbecue it for 24 hours in a mesquite-fired pit, and that's a lot of work unless you have three or four to do at one time. Haven't tried a Crock Pot, and may do it some day because I love to hunt them. Problem is, I'd have to cook it outside because my wife and I hate the smell when it is cooking.

Bill Quimby

My variation on Bills recipe is to put them on a piece of plywood....bury....BBQ 24 hrs...dig it up......then eat the plywood!

I cook mine with river rocks in the crock pot. Cook until the rocks are good and tender. Serve rocks to family and/or friends with all the fixin's. Feed the stink pig to the dogs. Or enemies, whichever is closer.

wait wait wait, try pig jerky. found you a good cure and seasoning, get a smoker, some kind of wood chips and a dehydrator. cut the whole thing up in pieces and cure then season and smoke for 30 minutes. then finish in the dehydrator and its the best dang jerky ever. it will make hunting them that much better!!