gotcoues

2012 Archery Coues

This photo was taken when I was already at full draw, found it this morning while looking at trail camera pics. Thought it was definitely pretty cool. Too bad it wasn't set to video mode, the coverts take awesome video clips

post-754-0-69153300-1327509337_thumb.jpg

I took this nice looking 3x4 on Sunday night around 5 from my treestand.

Treestands are set at 25 feet to the foot platform

Shot was 30 yards

Buck piled up less than 200 yards on a downhill death run

My good friend Hank was my co-pilot in the opposite facing stand. The stands are on a narrow ridge and we can both see into each side of the draw on our perspective sides of the ridge. The way I positioned the stands it's hard for the deer to sneak up on us. We still managed to get busted by a buck at 40 yards while we were on a "stretch" break in the morning.

I've been hunting coues out of treestands since 06'or maybe Jan of 07' (mind is a terrible thing to lose) and until this hunt, been unsuccessful. I've easily logged 300 hours, passed several mid size bucks and many, many dinkers. Missed a nice 90+ buck a couple of seasons back which hurt pretty bad. At times, my patience has to been tried to the limit with one early season logging almost 90 hours in a treestand.

It's all good now, and I can only hope my next treestand buck takes far less hours hanging out in my sky chair!

I've picked a few brains of other CWT members along this journey, I sincerely thank you all for the great advice I've gotten.

As an added bonus, my wife sat in the stands with me Saturday and endured some pretty cold weather for the morning. It was a great time and we saw some small bucks and plenty of deer, even got busted while climbing the ladder to slip into the stands.

My ugly mug

post-754-0-60202900-1329098229_thumb.jpg

This is my wife Colleen dressed to survive the morning, we have laughed out loud many times over this picture.

post-754-0-28337200-1327367749_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of my treestands, I own many types and these are hands down the most comfortable I have found (You can shoot a bow with the arm rest down)

post-754-0-97643100-1327367844_thumb.jpg

My coues buck

post-754-0-22319200-1327367985_thumb.jpg

post-754-0-26325100-1327368469_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations on a beautiful buck! You definitely put your time in to earn that one. Sitting in blinds or on stands certainly requires a huge amount of patience, but, as you have proven, well worth the wait! Nice job!!!

That's a dandy for sure Justin. What a beautiful buck. My congratulations. There's no doubt you put in the time and certainly deserve to have harvested that buck. Like Ilene said, it takes alot of patience and the abililty to withstand the elements. I know first hand what you went thru and it's tough to hang in there but it paid off for ya.

Great picture of Coleen by the way. She actually was able to climb with all those cloths on? lol You're one lucky guy to have such a wonderful bride. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

ps..........the hat you gave me at the xmas party is now my new good luck hat. I had it on when I shot my pig. Thanks!

Really pretty buck,congrats on a well deserved trophy.

Great job! I like that buck!!! Your persistence is unbelievable. congratulations.

Bob

Thanks, you guys & gals rock! It's your stories that help fuel the fire to keep at it. I've been truly blessed to take awesome coues buck four years running! I do love the coues deer more than any other big game animal and Jan 1rst can't come soon enough!

2009 Rifle Coues

Hunting with my best friend Harvey and another fella Art

post-754-0-65540000-1327378924_thumb.jpg

2010 Archery Coues

Hunting with my son Dillon, Tracy and Harvey came up to help with the recovery

post-754-0-95854500-1327378125_thumb.jpg

2011 Rifle Coues "the cody buck"

Hunting with Cody Whiting, Harvey and my son Dillon

post-754-0-96443100-1327378901_thumb.jpg

2012 Archey Coues

Hunting with Hank and my wifey the day prior to gettin em

post-754-0-77157500-1327378997_thumb.jpg

I can only hope the streak continues in 2013, as Sheen would say "winning"!!!!!!

• Like 1