Sign in to follow this  
BRKNAROW

Baiting

I was watching a show the otherday on the Mens Channel called Legends Quest the guys who own the Vortex company and Wards Outfitters put on the show were hunting javelina in AZ archery in a blind, in a riverbottom had a feeder set up and the pigs were going crazy eating what seem to be corn kernnels. It took a second viewing of the show to see the feeder it was hanging in a mesquite tree then you could see the corn on the ground and the pigs eating them up. I thought it was illegal to bait anygame in AZ. Hope no G&F guys noticed it or OH OH.

I think it's only illegal to bait for bears. I know lots of guys are putting salt out for deer/elk (anything...) these days, and I don't think that there is anything illegal about it.

S.

:P

If it's not illegal, whats to stop people here hunting for deer (and elk) the same way they do in Texas, Louisiana etc.. by putting up a feeder that drops a daily dose of corn (or whatever) and then just waiting in a blind by the feeder to kill the deer when they arrive.

I did not think it was a legal method of hunting here in Arizona, but I can't find that in the regulations except for bear. The fact that they do not sell deer feeders at Wal-Marts here like they do in Texas leads me to believe there is some law preventing it.

I suppose in reality it's not that different than sitting over a waterhole, but it still seems lees sporting to me.

Bret C.

It is 100% legal. There is nothing from stopping you from baiting deer or elk either. There was some pics on this site earlier of a couple of nice Coues deer that were taken in the early bow season over bait.

The reason feeders aren't used in AZ is because so much of the land is public land and the Forest Service has laws against having structures up for more than a certain amount of time (like 24 hours or something farely short). Legally I believe this includes trail cameras, tree stands, etc but the law isn't heavily enforced. I have a feeling that they wouldn't let you get away with a feeder though.

I think a lot of people also have ethical concerns about it and how sporting it is to kill something off of a feeder.

Hunting tactics also come in to play. In Texas it is difficult to spot and stalk because much of the state is thick brush w/out significant topography so sitting a feeder works better where as spot and stalk is pretty succesful in AZ.

I've always wondered how many ranchers or people in AZ who have a chunk of land have tried feeders or food plots or something similar. My grandparents used to have 15 acres in Sonoita and their orchard, garden, and flowers were sure popular with the javelina and deer.

I think the main problem with feeders in Arizona on Public land is cattle. Where in Arizona could you set up a feeder and not attract a nice herd of Slow Elk. Your baiting could get expensive real fast.

Bob

I think the main reason we all hunt Coues, is for the sport. I find nothing sporting about shooting a baited deer. Glassing until your eyes bleed, checking out the next canyon before dark despite aching feet, coming in after dark. Thats what I love about Coues hunting. I see the outdoor shows with "hunters" hunkered in a blind around a feeder, waiting until the time the feeder goes off to attract deer used to the sound. It would be like shooting one of Pavlovs dogs. Not for me.

Craig.

I agree with you as well.

But i would shoot one of my own dogs befor i would shoot one pavlovs dogs. :P

I believe that is why we call ourselves HUNTERS and not killers. Course for the last several years, me and my bow have done very little of the latter. :P

I think the main reason we all hunt Coues, is for the sport.  I find nothing sporting about shooting a baited deer.  Glassing until your eyes bleed, checking out the next canyon before dark despite aching feet, coming in after dark.  Thats what I love about Coues hunting.  I see the outdoor shows with "hunters" hunkered in a blind around a feeder, waiting until the time the feeder goes off to attract deer used to the sound.  It would be like shooting one of Pavlovs dogs.    Not for me.

Craig.

Well, alot of you may not agree with hunting over a feeder, but of those who disagree with it, how many have actually hunted the areas in those states (predominatley Texas)? If you have then you know it is difficult due to the brush. THe intent is not to shoot every deer that comes to the feeder, it is to draw a large concentration of does so that when the rut kicks in ( or do you not hunt durring the rut due to its tendency to make it easier to kill a buck?) you have a large group of does that will hopefully entice that Muy Grande out. And to be honest, its not as easy as "shooting one of pavlov's dogs"

Well here it is I called the G&F and they said it is legal. So I cant wait to put out some feeders for Javelina so my clients will be sure to have a good chance of getting one. I know down in the river bottom is a good place. :P

I will say there is a difference in tactics from east to west and north to south, the one thing that matters is that if you don't like to hunt that way you don't have to do it. How you as an individual feel about the hunt is what matters, my opinion is just because it is legal doesn't make it right, but that is just an opinion and everybody has one, and no I haven't hunted in TX and that could change my opinion.

To each their own, Good Luck and God Bless.

And what if one of the "Pavlov's dogs" was a 130 non typical with a 6 inch dropper off the main beam under the feeder. I would be willing to bet you'd be more than willing to pull the trigger then.....