db cooper

Weird deaths!

This last year I was doing a home inspection on a condo in Mesa and the building next to the one I was inspecting had about a 100 pigeons on the roof. Well all of a sudden they all took off at once. Sounded like a bomb going off so I am looking around to see what caused it. In swoops a hawk and snatches one right out of the air. The pigeon was actually bigger than the hawk was. It took the hawk about 10 minutes to finally kill it. Reminded me of a baker kneading dough but with talons instead.

While scouting for deer several years ago, we stopped at a water trough where someone had removed the escape ramp and found 21 dead skunks floating in the little bit of water in the bottom of the tank.

Came across a old house foundation while scouting north of new river,there was a old septic tank that was wide open and abuot 5 foot deep,must of had over 50 skeletions of various animals that had fallen in and couldnt get out

Was hunting elk just outside of Yellowstone in 2008 with an outfitter that has been hunting that area for decades. We had 5 or 6 other hunters in our camp which was advertised as the most remote location in the lower 48. One particular hunter showed up with a very large revolver on his hip and a brand new 10 gallon hat...i will refer to him as "Jeff". Our guides were the real deal cowboy type, and I could tell they thought Jeff was a tool. Anyways, three or four days in to the hunt and none of us are seeing elk. As we ride back in to camp late one night, I ask one of the guides that is helping with the horses if anyone saw anything, and he says "yup, Jeff shot one! But you'll never believe the story."

Apparently Jeff crushes a bull at 600-700 yards in one shot from a very extreme angle. While Jeff, his hunt buddy and their guide start quartering the bull, Jeff decides he needs to take a turd so he walks 50 yards in to the brush. Lucky for Jeff, he had the forethought to bring his rifle with him. As he squats, he sees momma grizz running full tilt towards the elk carcass and the guide. He yells and the guide goes scrambling for his rifle. The momma bear hears Jeff screaming and hits the breaks and stares him down as Jeff grabs for his rifle. Right about then Jeff notices there are two cubs in toe and he is currently between them and their momma. The momma grizz notices the same, starts snapping her jaw and stomping her feet. And she proceeds to charge Jeff. With a scoped rifle, Jeff ends up crushing the grizz with one shot while it was running full speed towards him. It drops 20 feet from Jeff and eventually dies after a follow up shot.

This dude has the coolest hunting story ever...he crushed a bull at over 600 yards and then killed a charging grizz in self defense at a very close range on U.S. soil. He was asked to stay in camp until the game & fish could come and investigate the grizzly kill. When they rode to the kill site 2 days later, poppa bear is eating momma bear. Game & fish said poppa bear most likely already killed the cubs...I guess they do this In an effort to get the sow to go back in to heat.

Maybe not a "weird death" but definitely the craziest dang story following a kill I've ever been in proximity to.

• Like 2

This past Sept during my archery elk hunt some friends found a bunch of bighorn sheep that burned up in the Wallow fire. I went to investigate the next day and found 9 bighorn rams all torched in one area. I believe they got trapped by the fire/smoke. It looks like a nuclear bomb had gone off in that area. Very, very sad.

some pics:

that's dam shame!

James

I think it was back at the end of the 2009 archery season, my dad and I were walking around one of our favorite spots. On our way back we notice a white flag in the middle of the trail that wasn't there before. Upon further investigation we look up to our right about 10 feet and there's a FRESH coues 2 pt kill. Crazy to think that the mountain lion was feeding on it when we were in the area.

In 2007 we were camping at the Hoyer Campground in Greer. I went down to flyfish Becker Lake one morning, and found over 20 dead Jackrabbits dead in the water at the boat ramp, as well as in the parking lot, which was trashed out. Game&Fish showed up about a half hour later to clean up the mess. I was told it was done by some of the crazy cult isolationist groups that live in the area, in retaliation for bait fishing being banned at Becker. Don't know how true the story is but thats what I was told.

White Mountain Res

holy smokes.

that is a crazy find for sure!

James

White Mountain Res

omg thats such a sweet find!!! sad way to go but heck of a find!

White Mountain Res

Talk about a bad day!

• Like 1

I saw a coyote grab a rabbit down in Aravaipa canyon. I also found some cattle that had been lion kills up north of lake pleasant during deer season.