Coach

Prayers please.

I've posted a lot on CWT over the years, but have never asked for a prayer request. I've prayed many times for members of our family here that I have never met, but didn't think I would ever on the other side.

My family lost a loved one on May 28th to suicide. This man was like a father to me, and looked to my kids as his own granchildren. This man loved the outdoors - he hunted and fished the white mountains so far back, the tales he tells are only a memory. He had an amazing love for his family, his friends, his love of hiking, biking, hunting, exploring...

He survived cancer 10+ years ago when all the doctors told him he had at best 6 months to live. After that he fell from a ladder at work and crushed his hip and leg, and could no longer work. He then dedicated himself to his wife and dogs. When his trusty Lab, River could no longer walk he broke his back getting her out of the truck for one more adventure together.

He lived with pain daily in his last years. A man who had once tackled every rushing river by kayak or raft, explored so many unknown caves, prospected and hunted pretty much every inch of this state, he finally succomed to the pain and realization that the life he had so passionately embraced, was no longer possible for him.

His life ended on May 28th, and our family is struggling to comprehend the loss, the un-answered questions...

If your heart moves you, please say a prayer for Steve, and those of us still trying to understand...

Thank you,

Jason

You've got mine. We have been impacted by suicide several times in the last year as well. It is very difficult to understand, but I found some solace in the knowledge that for that person, they ended their struggle on their own terms. May God be with you, your family and all of those touched by this tragedy.

Thanks for sharing so much about the man. Wow, what a loss. That kind of pain has caused many people to commit suicide (it took one of our own CW.com members in fact). Like Flatlander said, at least he was able to go out on his own terms. Suicide is always so hard for those left behind. I think if the people that committed suicide new the real amount of pain caused by their actions, they wouldn't do it. But it is impossible to think clearly when in constant pain. At least he had a good life and it sounds like he made a difference to many people. Peace be with him and all his loved ones.

So sorry for your loss. Our family has had to try to make sense of a suicide due to chronic back pain also. Hold strong to the memories and be comforted by knowing that he is no longer suffering. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Thank you all, for your kind words and prayers. At times I try not to disclose too much, but I feel there might be some people out there with doubts about life, death and what happens later.

As my wife was comforting her mother in the wake of what happened, the room was filled with police and a neighbor who was renting the house adjecent to their home. It was close to midnight, as the detective from Winslow sat with my wife, my mother-in-law who had just seen the event, and several sherriff's deputies. They were seated around a small table talking about the events.

Just then, a small bird flew down from somewhere in the room, and landed next to my mother-in-law, Steve's wife...It's the middle of the night, and this bird somehow, appears to all of them, lands right next to the woman who had just lost her soulmate, and just sits there....

Everyone around the table just looks at eachother, blankly...

My wife cupped her hands next to the bird and it just hopped in, not afraid. She carried it outside and had it perch next to the front porch where Steve had spent so many hours. It never tried to fly.

We all can draw our own conclusions about this "occurance" but I for one, believe it was a very clear message from God. That our souls live beyond our physical bodies, and whether this tiny bird was "Steve" or another angel, those we love don't just dissapear, they join the Kingdom of God.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing so much about the man. Wow, what a loss. That kind of pain has caused many people to commit suicide (it took one of our own CW.com members in fact). Like Flatlander said, at least he was able to go out on his own terms. Suicide is always so hard for those left behind. I think if the people that committed suicide new the real amount of pain caused by their actions, they wouldn't do it. But it is impossible to think clearly when in constant pain. At least he had a good life and it sounds like he made a difference to many people. Peace be with him and all his loved ones.

Thank you Amanda. I can tell that you, too have had to try and make sense of this...

Thank you all, for your kind words and prayers. At times I try not to disclose too much, but I feel there might be some people out there with doubts about life, death and what happens later.

As my wife was comforting her mother in the wake of what happened, the room was filled with police and a neighbor who was renting the house adjecent to their home. It was close to midnight, as the detective from Winslow sat with my wife, my mother-in-law who had just seen the event, and several sherriff's deputies. They were seated around a small table talking about the events.

Just then, a small bird flew down from somewhere in the room, and landed next to my mother-in-law, Steve's wife...It's the middle of the night, and this bird somehow, appears to all of them, lands right next to the woman who had just lost her sole mate, and just sits there....

Everyone around the table just looks at eachother, blankly...

My wife cupped her hands next to the bird and it just hopped in, not afraid. She carried it outside and had it perch next to the front porch where Steve had spent so many hours. It never tried to fly.

We all can draw our own conclusions about this "occurance" but I for one, believe it was a very clear message from God. That our souls live beyond our physical bodies, and whether this tiny bird was "Steve" or another angel, those we love don't just dissapear, they join the Kingdom of God.

You are absolutely right, that is a sign and you should see it that way. My family and I will pray for you and yours.

Wow. I am not sure what to say. Sorry for your loss. I can certainly understand your friends condition. I live with chronic back pain also, but not of the magnitude of Steve. I'm sure it was tough for him, a proud man, with a physical impairment, not being able to do what he loves. Life can be hard, dying is the easy part. I hope you and the family find comfort in the fact that you will all see him again someday...on the other side.

Farewell and Godspeed.

There's nothing wrong with asking for a prayer request Jason. Prayers are some strong medicine. We all need them from time to time and you can bet I will include Steve and all his family and friends in my prayers. It's times like this that makes us ask how the good lord could let this happen. I wish I knew the answer but I still belive he has a plan for each of us and keep the faith my friend.

Thanks for sharing Steve's love for the outdoors and the love he shared with family and friends. God Bless!

TJ