Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

binocular question

I know a lot of guys on this sight hunt with 15x binoculars. My question is do you carry a light weight low magnification pair around your neck as well? What models and magnifications have you found to work best for you? I already know that the big three are the “best”, but I blew all of my money on a pair of kaibabs and am looking for something between $100 - $200. Right now I am looking at minox, pentax, and Nikon, but am open to any others. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey man I think i have the Nikon trailblazers 12x50's that i use to around my bino straps. I use them mostly for walking so i dont spook anything that i cant see hiding anywhere from 250-400 yards. They work good I believe they are in your price range and I picked them up at sportsman's.

Nikon Monarch ATB for just a little more than that. Decent for the money. They have split it into Grades 3, 5 and 7 now. Not sure where the old one fell, but they outperformed several others that were more money. I think I got mine for about $250 and they are about to become hand me downs when I get my new set.

I use 10X, but I know some guys use 8X and some use higher (12).

I have a pair of Nikon Travel lite Zoom lenses...I really like this pair of binos and they are small. I have always been happy with the purchase

I know a lot of guys on this sight hunt with 15x binoculars. My question is do you carry a light weight low magnification pair around your neck as well? What models and magnifications have you found to work best for you? I already know that the big three are the “best”, but I blew all of my money on a pair of kaibabs and am looking for something between $100 - $200. Right now I am looking at minox, pentax, and Nikon, but am open to any others. Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 of the lesser leopolds going on sale next friday... acadias I think... they are 10x42 for $149 or $179 check the bass pro add for the fall hunt classic. very light.

James

+1 on the Bass Pro Sale.....friday only, August 10, the Leupold BX-2 Acadia 10x42 are onsale for $149.97....regular price is $249.99.

I use Nikon Monarch 10X42 they are dourable and have not let me down. But if I were to get another pair to wear around my neck in the $200-$300 price range I would get the Weaver 12x50's I looked through some of my buddies last winter, they are not too touchey to free hand and on the tripod thier performance is not too shabby.

Some good sujestions already made. If your going to be free handing your binos then you'll probably don't want anything higher then 8x unless your steady like a rock. Anything higher then 8x it can be very hard to hold still enough to get a shake free view. If this is the case then you might want to take a look at the Leupold Yosemite binoculars. I believe they only come in 8x and 6x and at $100 new they'd be hard to beat for the money. The 6x tend to get better rieview and are a great binos for free handing!

I have Vortex Diamondback 10x42 around my neck and Viper 15x50 in the pack. I've been really happy with the Diamondbacks. Good glass for not much $$.

• Like 1

Agree with Opticnerd. If you are freehanding use 8x or 10x. I would save your money up and look at Zen Ray's or the lower end Vortex models. you will gain a lot just by saving for a few months.

I had the monarchs for years. absolutely loved them. last year i decided to make my first big hunting purchase and i looked at higher end binos. I went with swaro10x52 EL. I carry them in my bino strap with a cover. for other long distance situations they work beautifully on a tripod. I carry that on my pack too sometimes.

couple weekends ago I used the monarchs and i couldn't believe how many animals I've probably missed over the years by not being able to see them. it really is a huge difference on how small of a detail you can pick out with good glass.

Guest akaspecials

Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42. The diamondbacks are in the same price range as the Monarchs but IMO the Diamond backs are much better glass. Can't go wrong with either.