AverageJoe

Wyoming Antelope Application Process

For those of you wanting to hunt Antelope in Wyoming I though I would start a thread on how to apply and what you will need. It is fairly simple and I would recommend going to Wyoming at least once to everyone. It is a great time for sure. Make sure to plan well in advance. Now would be a good time to start planning for a 2013 trip as you need to purchase a bonus point now.

First is the link to the Non-resident hunting guide booklet for Wyoming

- http://wgfd.wyo.gov/...ng-1000443.aspx

Here you will find a lot of the info needed to get going. The application proccess is January to March. If you put in and decide you dont want to hunt you can withdraw your app anytime before June 3rd. The drawing is usually around the end of June with leftovers going on sale around Mid July.

To put in for the draw, go here: https://gf.state.wy....ELSWelcome.aspx

If the species you want to apply for is not listed, it is because the time to apply has either passed or has not come up yet.

It helps to have at least one bonus point to at least get a decent buck antelope tag in a decent area. You can buy a bonus point now up til the end of september for $30.00. Go to the above link to purchase a bonus point.

You can get a good idea of how many points it takes to draw for an area by going to this link;

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/...20120002489.pdf

This was the results for the 2012 draw.

To help get drawn or draw a more difficult area with less points you can always apply for the special permit draw. This is a more costly tag (about $200 more) but your chances increase greatly.

For a beginner going to Wyoming I would recommend hunting near a bigger town (Casper, Laramie, Cheyenne). There are many hotels there and restaraunts and plenty of people to ask for help if you need it. The game and fish up there is very helpful in regards to landowners and getting access to their land. Sometimes a trespass fee is needed and can cost $100 or $500 (or more) depending on the popularity of the land.

There is a lot of blm land and state land to hunt for those not wanting to pay a trespass fee. Also a lot of ranchers have joined with game and fish to offer access to their land through the hunter management area program. Certain units have very large hunter management and walk in areas. Take advantage of these areas if you can. You need a permit to access these areas and some are draw only so be sure to apply for one before your hunt. The link is here:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/...gementHome.aspx

Your license and tag come together in the mail if you get drawn (they are the same thing). The only other thing you need with you is a $12.00 conservation license. Be sure to have this on you at all times.

Most units in Wyoming you can get one buck tag and two doe tags during the draw. When the leftovers come out you can get two more doe tags if availalbe and also one more buck tag if available for a total of 6 antelope. Last year I had a buck tag for one unit and two doe tags for the adjacent unit. It was not difficult to fill all 3 tags.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns feel free to ask. I know many of you already know the process but a few dont and seems to hold some people back from wanting to go. It is a very easy process and with a good gps map the whole trip will go smoothly and assure you many good memories.

If I forgot anything or anyone has anything else to add feel free to do so.

• Like 3

Good info, thanks!

Applying out of state has always seemed like a mystery to me. Thanks for breaking it down and making it a little less daunting!

• Like 1

Good information. In addition to the link about draw odds, Hunterstrailhead also has a draw odds table for the regular and special permits. http://www.hunterstrailhead.com/

Considering the overall cost of travelling to WY, the extra dollars spent on the special tag for better odds may be warranted, especially if one wants to hunt one of the better units.

It is rumored that WY may have a fee increase in 2014.

Searching other hunting websites and reading the MRS of Eastmans Hunting Journal is a good way to gather information about units.

A few years ago I was able to hunt one of the better antelope units and had a great hunt and took a nice antelope. Drawing the permit took 4 points at the time. I went after the opening wekend to avoid the crowds, and only saw about 4 other groups of hunters in the field.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21328&hl=%2Bantelope%2C+%2Bwyoming

Sounds like alot of fun Average Joe We should go hit this hunt up next year.

Applying out of state has always seemed like a mystery to me. Thanks for breaking it down and making it a little less daunting!

It is very hard to grasp other states draw systems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound so simple to me. Maybe it makes more sense as you get involved in the process. I would love to go, just held off due to the mystery of it all. I figure it best to go with someone that's done it before.

I think I will buy a bonus point just in case.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound so simple to me. Maybe it makes more sense as you get involved in the process. I would love to go, just held off due to the mystery of it all. I figure it best to go with someone that's done it before.

I think I will buy a bonus point just in case.

It actually is simpler than it seems once you get into it. I applied for the first time to year with a friend who had applied before.

They also allow you to apply separately but still mark your application as part of a group...so all of the group doesn't have to apply together. That seems to help with the group logistics.

It is a simple process .I put in a couple of years ago in the red desert and drew the tag with 0 bonus points.I just paid the extra dollar amount. It was a blast. cant wait to bring my son there.!0 hour drive from here to salt lake then 3 to 5 hours from there. The year I went( by myself)gas was EXPENSIVE.I saw hundreds of goats. Videotaped mine the day before the opener and killed him opening morning 100 yards from where he bedded the night before. Wyoming is the place for antelope.post-8870-0-11124200-1346000513_thumb.jpgpost-8870-0-11124200-1346000513_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I bought my Preference Point today. I'm planning on putting in for 2013. It sounds like I should get a tag with 1 point. Is it true that if I don't get drawn for my 1st Choice and get my 2nd Choice, I get another point. If so that's Awesome! I would really appreciate any info on what unit to put in for. I'm not looking for anything big. I just want to have a good time and kill some goats! The Doe's are going to be in serious danger:)

Adam

I will pm you. Yes if you put in for 1 and 2 choices and get your second choice you still get a bonus point. You only lose your bonus point if you draw your first choice.