Thanks guys for all the great comments! This was truley the best hunt I have been on. I have always heard that bears smell bad and have tons of fat on them. Being August this guy was 99% pure muscle with hardly any fat on him at all, and I think my dog smelt worse than him. He really didn't smell at all, I remember that all my deer and elk that I have skinned were way worse. It was a challenge though to get him skinned, the hair was thick and we had to keep sharpening are knives every so often.

Congratulations! What did the azgfd age your bear at?

Thanks Lance. The biologist said they will mail out the info to Chad after the tooth and DNA sample was processed. That could take anywhere from a 4-12 months from what i heard from friends. So that being said he didn't say when we asked what he thought how old he was.

Congratulations! What did the azgfd age your bear at?

Thanks Lance. The biologist said they will mail out the info to Chad after the tooth and DNA sample was processed. That could take anywhere from a 4-12 months from what i heard from friends. So that being said he didn't say when we asked what he thought how old he was.

Wow, they aged mine right at the office...

Way to go Devan, and a big congrats to your friend! I have to agree with you that some of my all time favorite hunts have been when I was able to help another hunter, and see their succes when they are so deserving. Good luck on your deer hunt!

His gun is a factory 300 Rem ultra mag with a Boyds Thumhole Stock. A muzzle break has been installed as well. I load for Chad since the gun was mine before I sold it to him. The load consist of retumbo powder, 215M primers, and the Hunting 210 VDLs. I was using the Target VDls because the Hunting VDLs were not available at the time. The Target VDL's do a great job, I have shot a few animals with them including my elk. The shot was at 550 yards.