sniper

Archery Lion!

So I didn't think I would be able to top the bear that I got a week or so ago. Well, that was a friday, and the following wednesday I decided to head back up to the same area and sit in a tree stand for a few days.

I got up early and called all morning until the afternoon, where I got up in the stand. A small whitetail, barely a forky, came in around 5pm. I decided to pass as I just got there in hopes for something bigger. Well, at 545, I see some movement to my left and see a nice black bear coming in. It stopped at 40 yards, and just sat there for about 5 minutes. Of course, a bear walks past me after I get one a few days earlier and I have spent YEARS trying to get one. I get some good video of the bear and at around 645, I pick up some more movement to my left, exactly where the bear was. A LION! I could not believe it!

I instantly noticed that the lion was huge, and guessing by the size of it's head, it was a tom. The lion stopped at exactly 40 yards and sat on it's but, just looking around. I was so nervous and not super confident shooting from a treestand just yet. The lion was facing directly towards me and I had my bow in my hand trying to decide if I should take the shot for the chest, or wait for a better target. After 2-3 minutes, I decided that I would take the shot because this lion could get spooked and just take off, and I would forever regret at least not trying!

So I drew back, and just as I did so, the lion stood up and gave me a perfect broadside target. So I set the 40yd pin a little low due to the angle and let it fly. I watched the arrow sail through the air and smack the cat. The lion instantly jumped about 5 feet in the air and leaped off the same direction it came. I could hardly contain myself in the stand! I texted my buddy and he made his way to me. I could not find my arrow but found a small blood trail and we tracked it in the dark for about 1 hour. That was a little nerve racking to say the least! The thoughts of a wounded lion jumping out of the bushes kept crossing my mind!

We decided to pick it up the next day, and after 4 long, LONG hours of tracking and a lot of luck...I found it! We estimated the tom to weigh over 150 lbs. What a beautiful animal! A bear and lion within 5 days....I am going to buy a powerball ticket this week!

DSCN1553.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1557.jpg

Here is a pic from our trail camera 5 days before...Same lion? I think so....
lionbefore.jpg

Link to video fo the bear that came in before the lion....Lion was shot about 3 feet to the right of where the bear was standing....https://vimeo.com/48851278

• Like 1

Way to go Sniper thats not something you see everyday, a lion taken with a bow.

Wow. Thats amazing. Looks like you hit him good, glad you found him. Conrats on a monster cat!

That is an outstanding lion! looks like hehas been eating good.

Wow that's a nice cat! Big and huge! Great job!!!!

nice shooting... awesome you were able to hold still and hit it... I don't think I could.

Congratulations on a very nice lion. You certainly are on a roll. Beautiful cat!

TJ

Neat story,congrats on a huge cat.

WOW! What a year so far! Goes without saying but you are da man! Lucky or skilled, you put in the effort with tail cams and time in the field, you deserve it! Your are going to have a huge taxi bill this year! Did you draw any tags this year?