Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

My bear

My hats off to those who have taken the big ten with a bow and all the others who have taken anything with a bow. I really never gave it much thought about seeing how many critters I could kill with a bow because I was always more interested in the hunt and not racking up numbers but I got to thinking about the archery kills I've made and I've been blessed for sure. After seeing a few bears on my trail cams this year I got to thinking why I haven't bought a bear tag for years and tried to take one with a bow. I guess I have always been happy with the one I shot with a rifle yrs ago and haven't shown much interest since.

Ok, now I don't want to sound like the numbers all of a sudden are more important than hunting, because they aren't, but I could end up with a possible 9 of the 10 if I tried but the numbers are starting to stack against me. My age, would I ever draw a sheep or antelope tag, my body wearing down, and not staying in shape has the odds, with each passing year, not on my side.

Back to why I started this post in the first place. I'm sitting in my blind last month and miss my turkey by using the wrong pin. Wish I could remember how many times I've done that over the years. You would think after all these years I would have figured out how to control my excitement or buck fever as they say. Now I'm dozing off and as I open my eyes for the 50th time I have a black bear at 15yrds in front of me. This is why I bought a bear tag incase I ran in to one doing this archery season but not in the middle of my crack corn.

This bear stayed for 1hr and 20min with so many thoughts running thru my head.

I could easily shoot this bear. No one would ever know but me that I shot it over bait. I could say I now have an archery bear kill and my 8th of the big ten with a bow. I know hunters who wouldn't think twice and shoot. Could I ever live with myself and would the huntin gods ever forgive me. Well, I decide I'm going to shoot this bear because he just isn't wanting to leave. As I try my hardest to position myself, without making any noise, I finally succeed and take my best shot. Dam I wasn't expecting the flash to go off. The bear never seemed to mind so I shot several other pictures. These pictures will always mean more to me than just another number.

TJ

post-1903-0-04508500-1348417315_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-95773200-1348417253_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-50232400-1348417395_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-12628900-1348417577_thumb.jpg

Cool pictures TJ. I think everybody who knows you through this site knows that you have the highest ethics and would never put a kill above them. We also know that you have never loved the kill as much as the hunt. Keep the pictures and stories coming whether hey be of live animals or another on your many successful kills.

TJ, not thirty seconds after I read your message about the bear being in front of you, I asked Roger... "You know how many other guys would have shot that bear" Hats off to you my friend! Honestly, watching him for over an hour would have given me a 'itchy trigger finger' ;)

Nice post TJ.

Must have been cool to watch the bear for so long.

I can picture your face as the camera flash went off too!

:blink: :D

LOL!! You scared me there for a minute when I read " Well, I decide I'm going to shoot this bear because he just isn't wanting to leave" Thank god it was with the camera instead of your bow!! :)

Great pics TJ! What an experience that must have been to watch that bear so close for so long. I was so confused and couldn't believe what I was reading when I read "Well, I decide I'm going to shoot this bear". I thought to myself "this can't be! TJ would never do that!" Hahaha! You had me there for a second.

This is a text book example of integrity.

-Tracy

TJ,

You had me too. I should of known better. Sure glad I had the great pleasure of meeting you in person. Along with Amanda, Tracy, and few I can't remember their names. And that Casey ain't so bad either.

Great story TJ for sure. How much would you say that bear weighed?

Jimmy.

TJ, I would only hope that every hunter was as honest and ethical as you. We have all faced game law temptations, but it takes an honest hunter to obey them. Thanks for having the courage!

OMG, you pulled me right into your trap, just like your cracked corn did that bear. YOU ARE the definition if integrity, I know the temptations one faces out there, you look over your shoulder and wonder "is anybody watching?" Lots of hunters would say "no," and shoot. NOT you and I hope NOT me if I am put in that situation. I can truly say if I find myself in that situation, I honestly know I will think of you and just how disappointed you and my father would be if I took the shot. THANK YOU TJ for putting this story out for all to learn from. Stephen

A hero is someone who does the right thing when no one is watching.

Great writing TJ, suckered me right in as well. Very cool story and pictures. Great job buddy!

Hey Buddy, Great story and pictures.....I would never think you would do anything other than what you did!! Tell Peg hello. Leaving in less than 2 weeks for our Antelope hunt in WY.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm sure there are alot of you who would have done the same. :)

TJ