Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Penalty for Accidental Spike Shooting?

I was just reading the AZGFD posting on here about the elk poaching/accidental shooting of a spike bull. For any who have not read it, it appears a junior hunter on a cow hunt may have shot both a cow and a spike during their hunt. They left the spike without reporting the accidental shooting. This got me curious. What would be the penalty if one did report the accidental shooting, would the penalty be the same for a junior as it would be for an adult hunter, or would the penalty be given to the adult with the junior hunter?

Any thoughts?

I would be curious to know the answer to that one as well. I suspect the penalty would be the same for anyone and I also suspect the penalty would be the same if you told g&f as well.

Right now AZGFD is not penalizing self reporters for honest mistakes. I know because last year my younger cousin shot a very small bull on his juniors cow tag. After discussion we called it in and the warden came out. We weren't cited but were required to submit the head to AZGFD and the meat as well and our hunt was over. I believe the meat ended up at a food bank. The warden told us if my cousin shot a 300+" bull they may not have been lenient, but the current policy was to not prosecute honest hunters who made honest mistakes.

I was wondering about this also, does the kid get cited, or the adult he was hunting with? Unfortunately things happen, especially when dealing with young or new hunters. I can see how someone could shoot and wound a cow and in the hustle to put another round in her hit the wrong elk. I have seen this happen. Its a bummer when it happens, but I would guess it is not all that uncommon. Glad to hear G&F was reasonable for you Siwash, my experience has been similar.

When I worked for azgfd, I worked at Jacob lake during the jr doe hunt, about 15 bucks were brought in on accidential kills, those bucks that were small spikes the hunters got a verbal warning and reviewed their actions with the warden and then turned their tags in. A few kids killed awesome 140 to 180 mule bucks! No excuse for that and they were cited, I am not sure whether the kid got cited or the parents did though, I did see a few kids cry up there, but I bet it was 100% the parents fault,

At the end of the hunt, it was my job to take all the bucks back to flagstaff and drop them off for processing, the meat went to the food bank

• Like 1

On the severe end they could take your rifle, hunting license and give you some stiff fines. On the other end they might only take the elk and your tag and be done with it. I know someone who reported themselves last year for accidentally shooting a spike. G and F just confiscated their tag and the spike without any other repercussions.

year for accidentally shooting a spike. G and F just confiscated their tag and the spike without any other reprocussions.

It's a pretty terrible feeling to shoot and lose an animal. I imagine it's just as bad or worse to shoot an illegal one on accident. You're definitely better off reporting it - right when it happens - G&F gets your tag, the animal (which will help feed folks rather than be left to spoil and go to waste) and the hunter is no worse off. In my experience, G&F officers aren't looking to be punitive - they want people to follow the rules and have a good time in the outdoors.

IMO theres a difference between putting horns on something rather then taking them off, especially for those not blessed with the high dollar glass. Not an excuse but accidents do happen with smaller bulls and bucks up in kaibab for the doe hunt and they happen every year, G and F take the tag, give you a good talking too and recommend taking or retaking hunter ed. As long as it was an accident and you reported it, that should be the end of it.

-Mike

just tell the truth. its as easy as that. mistakes happen and it sucks but if you tell the truth g&f will recognize that.

It is good to see they are being reasonable about this. Otherwise no one would report themselfs.......

Don't quite know about that. You should report it because it is the right thing to do not because of what the outcome may or may not be. Especially when a young hunter is involved or how are they going to learn ethics?

I went through this with a young hunter on his second deer hunt and he shot a young buck whose antlers had not broken through the hide when he thought he was shooting the spike next to it and jerked the shot. We field dressed the deer and being opening day took it into the Mesa Office.

We explained the situation and they laid the deer out in the parking lot on a tarp. They took pictures to use during hunter safety to show what a buck's antlers look like just before they break the hide. They thanked us for reporting it, shook our hands and sent us down the road with the deer.

I bet the AZGFD is a LOT more lenient with self reporters who shoot small spikes of the species they are hunting by mistake. They are probably not lenient AT ALL (nor should they be) if someone makes a mistake, doesn't report it, and keeps on hunting for the correct gender.

Good lesson for everyone out there ... ethics and morals don't stop when no one else is looking at you. It's an all the time thing. The parent(s) of the hunter who made the mistake should have known better, and should have instructed their junior hunter on the "right and proper" way to handle the situation.

Sad.

my guess is if the parent, gaurdian, mentor or whoever the adult was present would have called the G&F and self-reported the nearest WM would have responded and they would have gotten all the details in the incident. most likely they would have done everything possible to salvage the meat from the spike. if the WM truly believed it was an accident they probably would have written up a written warning to the shooter and may have let the jr. keep the cow since they did have a tag for that animal.