Sign in to follow this  
az_shooter

Need help with 308

I'm thinking about buying a rifle in 308 cal but I'm not sure what brand to get. I just bought a 300 rem mag last year and it already has two deer under its belt and I love the rifle but its super heavy for my style of long pack-ins on hunts. So I would like to start a whole new rifle from scratch to start shooting long range and turning turrets. Which is why I'm thinking about going for a 308 cal. Anybody have any great info I would be really appreciative, thanks.

You already have a 30 cal.

Why are you set on the .308?

I was looking at these for lightweight rifles:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

Savage offers the Model 11 Lightweight Hunter in .223 Rem., .243 Win., .260 Rem., 6.5 Creedmoor, 7 mm-08 Rem., and .308 Win., while the long-action Model 111 is available in 6.5 mm x .284 Norma, .270 Win. and .30-’06 Sprg.

I went with a .260 although it is a bit heavier 9.5lb than a pack rifle due to barrel contour http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/37547-project-rifle/

There is plenty of information on the web to help you make a decision.

Good luck

Get something in 6.5 or 260 they will leave any 308 in the dust past 300 yards unless you plan on shooting the big heavy 200 grainers from the 308.

I have a super compact and lightweight Ruger M77 Mark II in 7-08 with Timney Trigger that is for sale. Also has a Van Horn Brake.

The 7-08 is a decent little caliber and the rifle has shot great with Federal Factory Vital Shocks.

Let me know if you are interested.

I have to agree with the above in going away from 308 if you have the option. You can do better than a short action 30 cal. for a lightweight rifle.

You can still do a lightweight hunter in 308 if you are totally set. Also check out the tikka t3 for a lightweight gun. The tikka is pretty light and available in a multitude of calibers. From all the forum posts I've read I want one for my lightweight gun, that I probably will not own.

I have to agree with the above in going away from 308 if you have the option. You can do better than a short action 30 cal. for a lightweight rifle.

You can still do a lightweight hunter in 308 if you are totally set. Also check out the tikka t3 for a lightweight gun. The tikka is pretty light and available in a multitude of calibers. From all the forum posts I've read I want one for my lightweight gun, that I probably will not own.

I have a T3 Lite I 308 and it is a joy to carry.

Thanks for some good info so far, I'm looking at a few other cals and looking into the tikka.

The grass is always greener in the other side. Nothing wrong with the green on the 308 side of the fence.

• Like 1

Depending on what you are really after, a Thompson Center Encore makes for about the shortest and lightest gun our there. And barrel changes are at will... if you decide that a .308 is not good for your current application, swap it out. I have a .308, 6.5x55, .243, .223, and .22lr. That about covers my needs. If you want to check out my Encore stuff, let me know, I am right down the street.

I bought my son a Rem. 308 youth model when he was first starting out. While I've not been able to get good groups at 300 yrds, it is a dream to carry. Short and light weight. Kinda like a 308 snubby.

I have a savage model 10LE in 308. I love it, it shoots great easy to reload for etc. It has become my go to rifle. The only problem is that it weights 13 pounds with my setup. The 308 will get the job done that is for sure. Other calibers are out there and they all have good and bad. The trick is to find a gun you like and shoot it a lot, get comfortable with it. As far as ballistics go it all depends on your current load. I have stuff that surpasses the 260 out to about 600 yds. (This statement always is controversial because it all depends on what you compare...) Which is more than a reasonable distance.

Brandon

I bought my son a Rem. 308 youth model when he was first starting out. While I've not been able to get good groups at 300 yrds, it is a dream to carry. Short and light weight. Kinda like a 308 snubby.

my experience is similar. light weight AND long range ?? i have couple rifles that are under 6 pounds without the scope. nice light weight. they do not shoot like the heavier ones. AZ shooter- it is the Rilfe not the caliber ( depending on what you call Long Range). the Rifle has to be capable of shooting good groups to that distance. what is your goal?? 6 inch groups at 600 yards? . a weatherby accumark, remington sendero , winchester laredo. better though to get a remington/ krieger

Edited by roninflag

What are you planning on hunting with this new gun? Is this just going to be a deer gun or are you wanting another gun that can also handle the bigger species (elk, etc.) while being lighter weight? If just a deer gun then some of the smaller calibers mentioned would be awesome. If you are wanting to still be able to carry it on an elk hunt there are plenty of manufacturuers and custom builders who make lightweight guns in the 30 caliber magnums.

I recently got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 7mm-08 and LOVE IT! Great trigger, super light, and oh so smooth action. I would definitely look into it.