rclouse79

Elk Draw odds question

On my cow hunt this year I saw 10 plus bulls and only one cow. It made me consider putting in for bull next year. Every year I have put in for cow first choice I have been drawn. I remember reading something about the draw being broken up into your first two choices, and then again with your last three.

My question is: If I put in for bull with my first choice and cow with my second choice, will I have the same odds of drawing my cow tag, assuming I am unsuccessful in drawing the bull tag, as if I had put the cow hunt as my first choice?

I did that for a while and drew 5 cow tags in a row as my second choice. The draw odds are usually posted as first and second choice.

No, it really does not decrease your cow draw odds by putting in for bull on the first choice and putting cow second. However, if you put cow first and bull second, don't ever plan on drawing a bull tag.

Third and fourth choice are a different story.

it is possible that you could draw your 2nd choice (cow tag) in the 20% bonus pass and not make it into the general draw for your 1st choice (bull tag). you need to check the bonus point report to make sure this will not happen to you.

Short answer is yes the cow odds Will be the same on your second choice as they are on your first choice if you dont get drawn for bull.

it is possible that you could draw your 2nd choice (cow tag) in the 20% bonus pass and not make it into the general draw for your 1st choice (bull tag). you need to check the bonus point report to make sure this will not happen to you.

And THIS, just when my hair was starting to grow back !

When the computer pulls your application in the drawing, it will first look at your first choice (the bull hunt) and if there are tags left you will get one, if not it will go on to your second choice (cow hunt). It shouldn't affect your chance to draw your cow hunt, and will give you a shot at the bull tag too. Great strategy.

Here is how it could affect the draw for your cow hunt. If you have been applying for cow hunts as your first two choices, and you have occasionally drawn your second choice cow hunt, you will no longer have that second choice fall back.

a little off topic but a funny little aside. need it here high temp was 19 yesterday and 23 today so here goes...

somebody at the show low kmart really, really, really wants to up his draw odds. after the elk/pronghorn regs came out online they filled the AZGFD racks with draw envelopes and 2012 elk/antelope regs. when, being a concerned citizen and all i mentioned it to the asst mgr he told me it was an azgfd missprint and those were the new regs to apply for upcoming hunts. that was as of last wednesday 1/9/2013. he said they were putting out over 100 a day as peoples were taking them. wish i had gotten a picture of the rack..............

this is almost as funny as the time back in the nineties when the superstition springs walmart was limiting customers to only one draw envelope but giving out unlimited regulation booklets.......

lee

Take your odds of drawing the cow tag and subtract the odds of drawing the bull tag and that is your chance at the cow tag. That's what the G&F says.

The bonus points are BS people. I went 9 years with out an archery bull tag... (10th year)First year I put in with my buddy and first time hunter we got drawn for bull elk tags. Next year we put in separate and I blank... He gets drawn for another bull tag... The year after he pulls yet another bull tag... I don't believe in bonus points and if I could sell them to anyone who wants them I would... It's a lottery and you either win or lose... All the bonus points are there for IMHO is a feel good. Make you feel better about how few times you will be drawn...

Ceptedator. I agree bonus points are a joke. All they are is another raffle ticket with your name on it dropped in the bucket. When there is 1000 tickets in the bucket having 9 or having one don't make much difference.

Different story if your in the max point pool for whatever unit your applying for. Could be 7 points for a lesser unit like 4. Or it could be 20 for a unit like 10.

azoutlaw I sill have no faith in the points pool. 2007 my dad drew a 5Bn bull early archery tag with 2 points. 2009 he drew a early archery 10 bull tag. 2011 drew a 5Bn early archery bull tag again 2nd choice. After all the random people that draw with no points... Lets be real for Good units like 5Bn, 5Bs, 9, 10, 27, 1 regardless playing odds... After 16,17,18,19,20,21,22 points you're simply due for a tag. I don't think the points play a roll at all. SIMPLY LUCK OF THE DRAW...

If it wasn't for the bonus point system, I would never get a tag. The last 4 bull tags that I recieved were thru the bonus point round. I agree that it doesn't help a lot with the second pass, but I have more of a concern with how they assign you with your random draw number.

Well the alternative is to be like other states where only the max point holders can draw or have no point system and if your luck stinks then you never draw. I think AZ's system is much better than that. At least you have a chance to draw every year. With that said some are just luckier than others. If you wanna draw a bull tag every couple of years then don't apply for premium tags. There are multiple units for archery bull (7E, 4B, 3B, 6A) as well as rifle bull (4A, 4B) that you can draw at least every five years with a little luck, all of which provide the opportunity for a great hunt.

Good Luck

• Like 1