Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Injured deer!! Need advise

This past weekend I shot a tremendous Coues buck pushing about 110..From the looks of it, it seemed as if I hit him in the pocket inbetween his spinal chord and his lungs..I have yet to find the buck. I've been to the area once since I've shot him, with no luck. The deer was posted up at about 35 yards when I hit him, he then ran about 80 yards and stayed standing for about 25 minutes pulling out the arrow and bleeding before walking off. I then tried to cut him off to try and stick him with another arrow but he busted me and ran into some extremely thick mesquite flats. The arrow was full of red blood kinda on the brighter side. I followed the blood trail for about 200 meters before disappearing completely. My questions are, was this shot lethal? Will it die? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this and did you ever find the buck? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I have put that shot on several deer. The two that really stand out, buck ran to the top of the ridge, watched me for 35 minutes, started feeding. The other buck ran off with his does and once they had put some ground between us he continued to posture and push them around. Saw him several times in the following weeks. I never had much blood on the arrows though, mostly just grease, and no blood trail whatsoever. You may have caught the top of the lungs. I would glass the flats and look for crows.

If it was in what i call no mans land, he most likely will not die

What he said. I call it the same thing. I just hit a Javy there and was able to clip the top of one lung. This caused the pig to bed down and I was able to put an arrow a few inches lower than the first. I was so pissed I couldn't possibly explain in type. Without the second arrow, I am sure I would not have found him. Look for birds, and If I was you, I would spend everyday I could looking for this buck. He may not die, or he may not be dead, but there is still a chance you will catch him rutting up does if it was indeed in "No mans land."

The fact that you got a blood-covered arrow means you got at least a couple blood vessels. I don't know what kind of broadhead you use, but if you caught any lung, bubbles would have been present. Not always, but most times. High hits like that often don't leave any trail at all... You must be using a three or four blade! Honestly, I want to believe he's fine, but watch the crows. I think he's just one of those rutted up, aggressive bucks that just has that superior will to live. Good luck, hope you find him dead or alive!

I hit a big muly buck in that no mans land in December. Found both pieces of my arrow full of blood where it had stuck in him. I even clipped the top of a lung because we found where he had coughed it up. I searched all over for that buck for days and no luck. I then saw him about a week later and could see where I hit him. To say the least he was fine back in the same area chasing his doe around once again.in my experience that type of hit the Animal will usually survive and be fine. Good luck hope you find your deer!

What you're describing is actually above the spinal cord and through the back straps. Beyond popular belief, there is absolutely no "void" between the spine and the lungs in any mammal. For those in the medical field and anatomy, they can confirm this for you. Remember, the spinal cord can be 4-5" below the top of the deer's back.....many don't realize that.

Based on what you're describing, I would say you where a bit high and hit him through the back straps. I've been there and done that. If that's where you hit, the deer will survive and be unaffected.

• Like 2

Happened to my brother last year on the archery bull hunt. Searched for 5 days and even went back a week after the hunt to look for birds and smell but nothing. I've always heard it called "The Lemon" tho.