Sign in to follow this  
Rifle2Bow

Trouble spotting javelina herds

Hey guys,

I've been drawn for 34a and I've put in several trips from Phoenix to scout different areas in the unit the last several weeks and I see everything but what I'm looking for, Mulies, Coues, border jumpers, etc but can't find the piggies. Can anyone help? I'm going with my Dad and his vision is not the best so the glassing falls on me. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

I will be there feb. 23- 25 2013

think small, look for a single animal versus a herd, watch for horizontal lines (their back), if you think you see something but aren't sure mark it and look elsewhere, then go back and see if it has moved. You may glass the same terrain for hours, then all of a sudden there they are. Check for them coming out of the bottoms of the draws in the mornings and following the sun lines up the hills. Glassing is a skill that gets better with time, like any skill.

look for deer and then you will see pigs, works for me and vise versa

Rocks that move :rolleyes: Keep at it if your finding deer you will soon find the pigs not that they hang out together just that your skills are finding other things.

Finding pigs has always kicked my but too. In theory, they 'should' be easy... Multiple animals, constantly moving, etc but for some reason glassing pigs has always giving me a problem! So I'm in the same boat as you!

Are you seeing tracks? Are there any Prickly Pear or Yucca in the area? They will also usually get into little disputes between heard members which sounds a lot like two dogs fighting only more subdued and will last about 3-5 seconds.

Lots of good info here. Seems like I have had more luck at finding pigs by really picking apart the bottoms of draws and washes while glassing. Good luck. JS

As you are headin in the town of SONOITA before you get there there is a road called Santa Rita road on the 34a side take it all the way back past the look out tower an fallow the road until it drops off in to gardner canyon!! the little canyons that branch to the south have alway held pigs!! good luck an happy hunting!! hope this helps!! to the south i think the canyon is called Hog Canyon!! :)

Concentrate on the areas where you've seen herds in the past.

If you know a herd's feeding and bedding areas, you task is half over. A herd will use those places again and again, year after year.

I'm convinced javelinas have small territories, probably no more than a square mile. That 640- acre-home range sometimes may consist of just one very long canyon, though.

Also, if you can find fresh rooting, check out other spots with the same type of food.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

When the rain stops, start walking the washes. Any tracks you find will be fresh. They will be out in force as soon as the sun comes out again. They were probably holed up most of today and will be hungry.

be glasing the eastern slopes - north and south -- this time of year the sun is inthe southern hemisphere so this side of the hill will warm first -

i've found pigs on all ranges of a mtn - the bottoms to the tops etc . it was cold - rainy- mist - windy weather - we opted to hunt the draws and canyon bottoms thinkin they be out of the weather - freind comes over - Gary I see Piggies - they were on the very top of the mtn behind us.

they will be where ya find them - good luck ---

we found 2 differnt herds scouting - never seen them in either spot hunting season - go figure!

• Like 1

Best advice I ever heard about finding any animal- "They are where they are"

Hours behind glass and boots on the ground. Good luck!!

• Like 1