briant_az

Custom build. What caliber would you go with?

The 6.5-06 and 6.5x284 are essentially the same thing. Their case capacities are almost identical and load data can even be interchanged between the two. That being said and having built and load developed for both I like the 6.5-06 the best. It seems to be slightly more efficient and brass cost is considerably less since all you have to do is neck up or down from either 25-06, 270 or 30-06. Velocities of 2950 plus should be easily attainable with a 140 bullet and will provide much better wind drift and energy numbers at long range over a 30-06 unless a 200 grain bullet is used.

What is the barrel length on your 6.5-06??

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of building a custom 280 AI for a long range rig. I'd recommend it.

I love my .280 and the AI can only be an improvement. I kind of wish I would have just used the .280 that I have to build a gun but it is a nice remington mountain rifle that I just really hate to change.

Pwrguy- I just plan on building this gun strictly for coues hunting, and maybe antelope if I ever get drawn.

To bad it's not a short action Brian, you could of built a 7 WSM! If you need someone to put it together call Mr. Todd up, he just built a 338 edge and a 6.5 that shoot light out.

To bad it's not a short action Brian, you could of built a 7 WSM! If you need someone to put it together call Mr. Todd up, he just built a 338 edge and a 6.5 that shoot light out.

I want a 7 wsm!! I'm going to wait until you get loads all squared away before I buy one then the hard work is done

I've got a full custom .338 lapua being built right now. Should be done and picking it up tomorrow. Thats another one that is the baddest of the bad for a custom rig but it will destroy your wallet. Ill post pictures if I pick it up tomorrow

I've got a full custom .338 lapua being built right now. Should be done and picking it up tomorrow. Thats another one that is the baddest of the bad for a custom rig but it will destroy your wallet. Ill post pictures if I pick it up tomorrow

What action did you end you using?

I have a custom in 6.5-06 AI. I love the rifle and caliber. When I finally shoot out the barrel, I am torn between spinning on another 6.5 barrel vs. a new 280 AI barrel. As you can tell, I am a big AI fan. Primary reason for looking at the 280 / 280 AI is that the caliber can be supported by Lapua brass (just neck down 30-06). Necking down 30-06 to 6.5 can become problematic. Bullet manufacturers seem to pay a lot more attention to the 7mm bullet line.

Having said that, I am anxious to try the new Nosler Accubond Long Range bullet when it comes out later this summer. of course, their 7mm LR bullet has already begun to hit the streets. Their 6.5 bullet is only 129 grains, but has a BC around .56 and will expand reliably down to 1,300 fps. If these claims bear out, then this will become the new standard for LR bullets.

I'm using a Stiller TAC338 action, Krieger #10MTU barrel, American precision arms muzzle brake, Mcmillian A5 stock, Seekins extended box magazine, Jewell trigger, Seekins rings, stiller 20MOA base, and nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1 scope.

I'm using a Stiller TAC338 action, Krieger #10MTU barrel, American precision arms muzzle brake, Mcmillian A5 stock, Seekins extended box magazine, Jewell trigger, Seekins rings, stiller 20MOA base, and nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1 scope.

Holy smokes... That's going to be one BA rig!!

I am not a techy guy when it comes to custom anything, but I had a custom built by Dave Arganbright of Whitecloud Gunsmithing 2 years ago. It is a 338RUM, with a Burris Black Diamond, set up with turrets. It shoot a 200 gr Accubond, that Dave dialed in before I recieved the gun back. I want to upgrade the scope to a nightforce NXS, that said, between my friends and I we have taken 13 Big Game animals with it over the last two fall seasons. On shots from 154 out to 600 yards, it's a nice tool to have. I like it so much I want to have a second one done in 338RUM. Take Care, JLG.

Since you named coues and antelope as the only targets for this rifle I would have to say either the 6.5x284 or the 6.5-06. A close second choice in my opinion is the 280AI. With such narrow thin skinned light boned animals why subject yourself to anymore recoil than necessary? The 280AI would make a fine coues/antelope rifle but will have a bit more recoil BUT would also double as a backup elk rifle. Not that the 6.5 won't handle the elk but the 280AI will certainly offer a bit more forgiveness.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with the plain Jane 30-06. Loaded with the 208, 210 VLD or the new 210 ALR over some of the modern powders and you have a serious contender for a longrange hammer. The windage and impact velocities are near identical to the 6.5x284 but with 300-400 foot pounds more energy and 2.5 times the barrel life than the 6.5. The downside compared to the others listed is recoil.

Of the 3 types mentioned the 280AI maybe one of the best all around balance between javelina to elk, barrel life to recoil. Same wind and impact velocities as the 30-06 or 6.5 but 150-200 pounds more energy than the 6.5 and 100-150 pounds less energy than the 30-06. The recoil will be a bit more than the 6.5 but a lot less than the 30-06, at least with bullets that make their down range wind/velocity equal or near equal.

Don't look at the trajectory values. That's why you have a rangefinder. 20-30" difference in drop is meaningless at 1k, heck 100" means little if anything at 1k. Windage and bullet expansion are the 2 most critical followed by energy. At least in my opinion.

Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

As always, some great advice from 308Nut.

The 6.5-06 I built had a 26" barrel and with 49.5 grains of H4350 I was getting 2960fps and half inch groups at 200 yards. Very sweet rig and very hard to beat. The recoil is mild and the performance is top notch. It can be beat by the heavy 7s and 30s like 308Nut mentioned. But it takes a lot more powder and recoil to do it. I would hunt anything on this continent with it and wouldn't blink an eye about it.