Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

8yr Old's First Spot & Stalk

My 8 year old has been shooting a bow, whether its been a Lord of the Rings special, or a $89.99 Walmart Special, since he was 4. He has always been drawn to it and its been fun to watch. So, this weekend I finally took the money he has earned working around the house and I met him half way on a new Diamond youth bow. We headed down to Sportsmans Friday afternoon. We picked the bow up, spent some time getting it set up and then headed out to practice.

Right away he was grouping good. We backed up to 15 yards and with 20lbs of draw weight he was spanking the target. As the sun set he asked if we could go after a rabbit. I tried to explain to him the success ratio with bow hunting versus shooting his pellet rifle but his enthusiasm was too much to turn down. So we headed out and soon found the cotton tails emerging. First stalk, blown. Second, Third.....you get the picture; blown. Finally right at last light he spots a rabbit and its his last shot for the night. He started paying attention to his steps. He was focused on cover and I hung back. That little rascal closed the distance to 10 yards. I watched him ease out from some brush, draw his bow, and as soon as he released I heard the WHACK.....His look back at me was priceless.

We backed out. I explained to him we had to give the rabbit time. Thirty minutes later we grabbed the flashlight and with the help of a buddy we found the rabbit piled up dead under some bushes. My boy was super excited. We took some photo's and took the rabbit back home. We gutted it and I skinned it and threw it in the freezer.

First spot and stalk and success. He is hooked......been shooting all weekend. Fun to see your kids pick it up and love it.

Here are the pictures in order:Getting the bow dialed in at Sportsmans, Practicing, Stalking, and Success.

post-5969-0-65362300-1372036566_thumb.jpg

post-5969-0-25267200-1372036603_thumb.jpg

post-5969-0-15643900-1372036647_thumb.jpg

post-5969-0-78442400-1372036683_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This story brings back great memories of my son bagging a jack while tagging along on his older sisters 36a deer hunt. These times are priceless, enjoy every second! Please keep these types of posts coming.

Congrats little man, that's AWESOME!!!! It took me over 20 years and a bunch of broken arrows to get my first wabbit with a bow.

SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!! Lord, they grow-up quick. I miss those days with my little tots.... ;)

Thanks for sharing!

S.

:)