Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Off road travel to retrieve Big Game

Polling to see how everyone would feel about No more "off road" travel to retrieve game?

Meaning you would have to clean the downed animal where it lays and bring it to the road.

I have seen some tire ruts in some beautiful areas and its depressing.

• Like 1

if you go thru the coconino travel management thread I think some of that was discussed....

you can actually set this up as a poll question thread if you are actually looking for #s for and against.

I would say no from me as some of those early hunts and even somtimes in NOVEMBER it can be 80 degrees, may result in some meat loss.

James

Don't shoot it if you cant get it out! Thats why there are regulations/laws about wasting game meat!

It takes two experienced guys about 1/2 hour to skin & quarter an elk and get it hung in the shade! Then pak it out! I have killed plenty of elk durring archery hunts in Sept and never suffered meat loss due to not being able to get a vehicle into the kill site! The gutless method is the way to meat preservation! Getting the skin off and quatering will do more for cooling/preserving fresh meat than leaving it whole and hauling it whole back to camp!

• Like 2

Meat loss and in the eye of the public were two items I thought would come up. I was just studying the regs and remembered all the times I have seen areas torn up from vehicles. Not that they were hunter made but it made me think. I also was told some stories around the campfire of off road adventures to get elk out. I spend almost all of my time in wilderness areas so its not an issue there but when I do ride other areas I am surprised at the amount of damage off road and around roads.

Like most things this will have polar answers.

I'm on the side of no off road vehicle travel. Use a pack animal if you need help.

August bears are the main culprit for "meat loss" from what I've heard. I've never seen meat loss on anything. Its amazing what skinning and hanging does.

I'm personally not in favor of more regulations on us. The people that are causing the damages are going to continue doing what they do and the ones that have a higher level of respect for the land will ultimately be the ones suffering. I'm experiencing it first hand here on the Kaibab National Forest with woodcutting right now.

• Like 1

Who in their right kind would drive across country to retrieve game? Except of course for a disabled hunter. Anyone else should be shot for being lazy!

• Like 1

Don't shoot it if you cant get it out!

One day you might be 75 years old and still want to hunt or take your grandchild hunting.

Just a thought.

• Like 3

TMP has made many formerly accessible areas inaccessible. I can think of a number of areas where a mile pack out is now three. Woodcutters, ranchers, feds can/will drive anywhere they want. Don't see an issue with an elk hunter driving out to pick up a carcass. Deer, not so much.

• Like 1

I agree with the rifleman, because some people do some crazy stuff out there that will ruin all hunting for the rest of us, but the worst is idiots with there motorcycles and quads who don't hunt that tare up the woods, and of course the people who hunt that can't walk anywhere and make new quad trails to the top of great glassing ares then they become well traved roads. Thats why the forest service has had enough. what ever happened to pack it in and pack it out. thats my thoughts dosen't mean much

• Like 2

Don't shoot it if you cant get it out!

One day you might be 75 years old and still want to hunt or take your grandchild hunting.

Just a thought.

There will come a day when I will no longer hunt!!! Then I will have to beg for a hunk of venison! Even now I welcome help when I have a animal down meanwhile while waiting for old age to set in I will quater & pack & help others to do so when asked!

• Like 1

Everyone who hunts should know how to skin and bone out the animal they are after.Its part of the experience.

• Like 3

As a guy with a bad back, I can sympathize in some degree. You can't get any vehicle into most of the areas I hunt. I did use my quad in 2008 to help myself get close to my deer, but that was an exception, because I got lucky, and shot a nice buck a quarter mile from the trail. I left no impact on the environment.

Normally I will bone out a deer and use a pack frame. That "Big Red S" on my chest has faded considerably over the years. and I just don't want to do any more dragging of animals. That last one about killed me, dragging it up the side of a ridge to my quad

It is a touchy subject, no doubt.

• Like 2