Whitesheep

Using 2-way radios while hunting. Legal, ethical or what?

I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere, but I was not able to find a thread old or new that covers the use of 2-way radios while hunting. If such an thread exists, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

The article "Your Ethics. Your Defining Moment" by Tim Christie in the July/August 2013 edition of Arizona Wildlife Views states:

"Portable radios and cell phones keep us connected. Use them in the pursuit of game and your'e breaking the law in Arizona."

This was a surprise to me. It has been my understanding that the use of radios or any electronic communications is not accepted by many big game scoring clubs like Boone and Crockett, but I was not aware of any legal limitations of their use in Arizona while hunting. I searched the WWW with Google and didn't turn anything up specific. A search for the word "radio" in the PDF version of the 2013-14 Arizona Hunting Regulations turned up this word four times. Three were in reference to shooting game with radio collars (don't) and one was on a checklist of essentials and specifically mentioned "FRS type radios." So what's up.? Is it illegal or unethical to use 2-way radios while hunting? If so, what does "pursuit of game" mean. Is a hunting group that splits up to cover a large area and calls each other together if one finds game or good sign "pursuit?" How about calling for help once a game animal is down?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Legal, but you can't enter them in the record books if you use them during the location or pursuit. After the kill, do as you please...

• Like 2

Legal, but you can't enter them in the record books if you use them during the location or pursuit. After the kill, do as you please...

That's the way I understand it, if you want to enter the animal in the book go back to hand signals.

• Like 1

/>Legal, but you can't enter them in the record books if you use them during the location or pursuit. After the kill, do as you please...

I have always been under the same understanding.

On a separate note, did the regs say it was illegal to harvest an animal with a radio-collar? If so, I ever knew that.

That's the way I understand it, if you want to enter the animal in the book go back to hand signals.

That's the way I understood it.....

Doesn't the article give anymore information as to why they made that statement?

/> Legal, but you can't enter them in the record books if you use them during the location or pursuit. After the kill, do as you please...

On a separate note, did the regs say it was illegal to harvest an animal with a radio-collar? If so, I ever knew that.

No. Harvest is ok they just want you to return the collar.

• Like 1

Do what you gotta do to get the animal on the ground and your tag around him.

That is perfectly fine, just don't enter it if you used radios...

We sat on the top of Porter Mt. with G&F and had radio communication between myself, my dad, and my little brother while he stalked and shot his first bull elk several years ago. I know that what G&F participates in does not necessarily mean that something is legal, especially in 3B :)

• Like 5

I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere, but I was not able to find a thread old or new that covers the use of 2-way radios while hunting. If such an thread exists, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

The article "Your Ethics. Your Defining Moment" by Tim Christie in the July/August 2013 edition of Arizona Wildlife Views states:

"Portable radios and cell phones keep us connected. Use them in the pursuit of game and your'e breaking the law in Arizona."

This was a surprise to me. It has been my understanding that the use of radios or any electronic communications is not accepted by many big game scoring clubs like Boone and Crockett, but I was not aware of any legal limitations of their use in Arizona while hunting. I searched the WWW with Google and didn't turn anything up specific. A search for the word "radio" in the PDF version of the 2013-14 Arizona Hunting Regulations turned up this word four times. Three were in reference to shooting game with radio collars (don't) and one was on a checklist of essentials and specifically mentioned "FRS type radios." So what's up.? Is it illegal or unethical to use 2-way radios while hunting? If so, what does "pursuit of game" mean. Is a hunting group that splits up to cover a large area and calls each other together if one finds game or good sign "pursuit?" How about calling for help once a game animal is down?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

He didn't finish . You can use a 2 way radio or a cell phone as long as your not pursuing with a vehicle.

We sat on the top of Porter Mt. with G&F and had radio communication between myself, my dad, and my little brother while he stalked and shot his first bull elk several years ago. I know that what G&F participates in does not necessarily mean that something is legal, especially in 3B :)

BAZIIINNNGGGAAAAA!!!!

• Like 1

BAZIIINNNGGGAAAAA!!!!

Fuuunnny. I have alway's understood it is ok to use in AZ, I know in a lot of other states it is not.

it's not elligal , heck we can't bait anymore so use them radios

That's the way I understood it.....

Doesn't the article give anymore information as to why they made that statement?

Hi Amanda,

The article doesn't give anymore detail, which is sad since this is a pretty significant statement. I plan on writing Tim to ask why he made this statement.

The group's response matches my understanding. I am unlikely to ever bag a record book animal and really wouldn't care if I did and didn't "get in the book." Hunting is not a competition for me. That being said, I find radios with location features such as the Garmin Rino series to be a real safety item as you can locate a down and unconscious pardner with them, which I have not had to do thank God. You can also keep track of your spread out group without making a sound.

Thank you all for the validation on my understanding of the law regarding the use of radios while hunting. I'll post anything I hear from Tim.

/>

/>Legal, but you can't enter them in the record books if you use them during the location or pursuit. After the kill, do as you please...

Ya its not illegal. Anyone who has ever put out a radio collar would never shoot an animal with one on though. Depending on the species, researchers may have thousands of dollars invested in time and materials to put out a single collar. Plus the data that will be missed because that collar is no longer deployed is invaluable.