ultramag

Who hunts coues with a 30-06

I have dads old gun!!! Not the gun I use but thinking of hunting with dads gun and it happens to be a old Rem 700 in 30-06.ADL. I have been thinking about turning this into a 6.5x284 but I am not sure I want to do that. I am also not sure about trying to kill a coues with this gun. I don't know just the throwing this out there.........

I've killed two Coues with my Rem 700 BDL 30-06. One at 220 yds and the other at 300 yds. I've also shot an elk at 330yds and my wife shot the one standing next to him. All with 150gr Core Lokts. Nothing wrong with the -06.

• Like 1

Bryan,

Killed my first two deer with a 30-06. Like we chatted about in my living room.. With todays technology and target turrets etc using a 30-06 is not a big deal at all. Load some 150 or 165 Accubonds and have at it!

I use my dads 30-06 that he bought as a kid with allowance money at bucks Autoparts napa in 1965. Last year iuseca 243y late uncle left me (I missed a decent buck) not sure which rifle ill use this year? Both are very accurate to 600 yards.

On any of these subjects you'll get 2 pages of replies full of opinions. Every big game animal I have killed (except turkey) has been with a 30-06, this includes 6 coues. (I don't shoot over 500yards though)

It's a great caliber, the Remington 700 is a great gun as well. As mentioned previously 150gr is a fantastic bullet for coues. 165 is okay but can be a little over kill for coues. A 150gr is like a sledge hammer to them under 500 yards.

30-06 is not a hard round to find either and most of those whom I hunt with use it so I am never without rounds. The versatility of that rifle is great on the big and small sized shooters, not a ton of recoil.

In spite of all that....if you are not familiar with the gun and have not practiced with it then its no better than any other gun in your closet Spend the time with it and you will love it just as much as any other. I just like the wide variety of grains in bullets that I can shoot in one magazine.

It will work very well with 168gr Berger bullets out to 600yds.the best loads so far with mine is with 4350 powder.

The 30.06 will work just fine. I have a tikka T3 in 30.06... killed one at 300 and one at 170.... I also hunt them with my new 300 WSM and have never blown one up to bad. Just watch shot placement.

My dad has used his O3A3 from when I can remember, the 70's. He has killed Coues, Mulley's, Bears, and Elk all with a 130 Grn Hornady hand loaded round. SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT and when you think your done SHOOT some more, you will do fine!!!

My -06 stacks 150 grain core-lokts out to 500. Bullet drop gets pretty dramatic after that. Arrows have been my ammo of choice for the last six years but if things dont go my way this Aug/sep then I'll be packing that -06 around come late Nov. Ive lent that gun out a few times the last few years and it killed a coues at an unknown distance and dropped a muley last year at just over 300. 30-06 is one of those awesome rounds that are becoming less and less popular. Use it! And then post your success story here on this site and brag about how awesome it performed! You won't be disappointed unless you feel like you need to shoot 600 yds plus.

I've killed two coues with an ought 6. Including one with my dads old Remington 721. There's a reason why that cartridge has been around over 100 years.

I killed my first 2 bucks with my 06, Molly Whomper. Great round. I use her as my back-up nowadays, but if I need her, she's ready to go!

I will be hunting coues with my 06 come this October. Also, will be hunting bear with it come the end of August. Gonna use 150's for coues and 180's for bear. Haven't killed anything with it yet, but it sounds like I have the right idea. I decided to buy the 06 last year because of the wide grain fluctuations. You can pretty much hunt any big game in north america with it. So, instead of having a gun for this and a gun for this, why not have just one trusty rifle?

My dad has used 130grn hand loads for all the animals he has killed; Coues, Mule, Bear, Elk have all succumb to the mighty O3-A3.

do you reload? i would clean the barrel real good and see how it shoots now. i am a big fan of both the 30-06 and the 6.5-284. 50.5 varget and a 168 berger is my go to load for 30-06. 030 off. excellent for long range or short.