bonecollector

Unit 10 tag holders

Bummer- no trail cameras on "The BIG BO".

The use of trail cameras, scouting cameras or any other automated remote camera systems is prohibited on the Big Boquillas Ranch.

Az

I've never hunted up there, but after reading the rules it makes me want to hunt there. I appreciate the fact that they want hunting on the ranch to be similar to what it was 20 to 30 years ago when I started hunting.

• Like 2

The website is very well put together and worded in my opinion. These new rules and permitting with make the Big Bo in unit 10 a very premium "spot and stock only" location for Arizona. You have to pay extra to play, and you have to play by strict and old school rules: no hunting on water, no attractant, no cams, no atvs, no large envoys of guides for one hunter... Success will obviously go down for several reasons, but there will be more mature trophy animals that live longer as well. I think I like it for this one special ranch circumstance.

• Like 1

I disagree with most of their rules other than no trail cameras, and maybe spotlighting. I like how they still allow you to retrieve your elk with a motorized vehicle. That is ridiculous that you can't hunt water. This is just my opinion on it.

Interesting. I'm glad a compromise was reached. I feel the price for a "hunter assist permit" is a little steep. Sucks for the people who live to hunt with their families. Other than that i think the rules are fair and reflect what hunting used to be back when.

So if I read this right we can not scout again until August 15. Was this just posted today?

I saw it today so I posted it. I cant seem to find it now. Not sure if it was removed for some reason or not but I cant find it.

I was able to talk with Craig Shelly yesterday and the ranch is currently open, but after the 15th the rules will go into play.

Obviously, we would all love to not have to pay to access any hunting land, but the reality is times are changing. I vented a little yesterday on our blog, but I am honestly very thankful the ranch is still open for a very affordable fee.

http://blog.outdoorsmansresourceguide.com/2013/07/the-future-of-huntingpublic-land-fees.html

A couple things that stand out too me from my conversation with Craig:

• The ranch will not tolerate harassment amongst hunters or guides harassing each other. They want to make sure that a true sportsmen's attitude is followed amongst all those who pay to have access to the ranch.
  • The ranch is only open to hunters and guides ( who pay the fees & obey the rules). The ranch is not open to recreational casual users or site seers.
  • This is basically a trial run or pilot program. They are welcome to input.

yes better than being closed completely but still don't like it. pilot program for the rest of the state is my guess.

I like it and defiantly better then being closed. I can think of a few times the past few years seeing hunters that can't read bring ATVs onto the ranch during scouting trips. Break the rules and get caught you won't be able to return now which is great. Harder for the auction tag guides to scout this area to without trail cameras. Maybe some other ranches that are locked up by guides/ranchers now will be opened in the future under similar rules and reasonable fees.

• Like 1

it is unfortunate that people will now have to pay to access property that before was free but I am guessing a lot of guys that hunt spend more than $65 in one evening at the bar or on booze and cancer sticks for a weekend. it is all about priorities.