Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

If you could any unit, any time of the year.....

Not surprising that everybody is choosing January because it can be fun and the weather is generally nice but if a person wanted to kill the biggest buck possible I would hunt the deer while they're in velvet. I believe that its the absolute best time to kill a monster. Early September. I'll let everybody else recommend the unit but for a giant hunt them in velvet. And you can kill a hard horned deer on any other rifle hunt but unless you archery hunt you can't shoot a velvet coues in very many places.

• Like 3

Not surprising that everybody is choosing January because it can be fun and the weather is generally nice but if a person wanted to kill the biggest buck possible I would hunt the deer while they're in velvet. I believe that its the absolute best time to kill a monster. Early September. I'll let everybody else recommend the unit but for a giant hunt them in velvet. And you can kill a hard horned deer on any other rifle hunt but unless you archery hunt you can't shoot a velvet coues in very many places.

exactly

i would also be hunting when no one else can.

36A is the most over hunted unit in the state for coues. It would not even be considered once to hunt there for a raffle tag.

• Like 2

I would not rule out any time of year, I have seen some of my best bucks in Sept and Oct while scouting for later hunts. Whatever time you glass up a great buck is the best time of the year to go:) That being said I would avoid May through July :D :lol: :ph34r:

Well i guess everyone has different opinions. I know where some big deer are at and have never seen anyone in the area i hunt, that isn't to say people don't hunt it but its where I like to hunt. but I see where your coming from considering it is the raffle tag.

29, 31, 32, 33, 34A, 35's, 36's, first 2 weeks in Janurary or middle to late Sept.

sept is a good time of year. the grass is still green, the deer are in their brown summer coats. the bucks are in velvet. IMO these things make it a little easier to find bucks.

I like 22 23 and 24a in january last year i saw a bunch in 22 with 3 in 22 well over 100" and 4 or 5 in 24a in the 110 to 120 range! Big bucks are every where you just have to know the area and put in Some time!

Seen some realllll nice bucks along the Tohono O'Ohdam reservation fence line...

If I had that tag, it would be really tempting to take a big ole buck in full velvet, of course when he is basically done growing though.. Not many people can say they killed a big old, full velvet buck with a rife. But, being out there in January or later with a rifle would be pretty spectacular. I have seen them in late December where they didn't have a care in the world... That is what I would be going for.