Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Bear Opener

I was in 22S and the bugs, sweat and heat made it unbearable. Haha, that was a good one. Anyway, I was eaten alive yesterday because I can't stop scratching the 10-15 bug bites I'm sporting. I nice calamine bath for me should offset the itching but agreed that the bug situation was brutal and I put on bugspray prior to heading out.

Does anyone smoke their clothes to offset human scent and keep bugs away? Does it work?

+1000 on the bugs in 23. Seen 6 bears with no shots. Had one bear come to the call and stopped at the edge of a cliff and wouldn't come down at 850 yards away. Big Boy for sure. All the other bears were average.

in the pears or the oaks? If you don't mind.

Just got home from unit 1 no bears but did leave with more mosquito bites than I've ever had. Didn't sound like the hunters runnin dogs had much luck where we were hunting either.

Same for me as everyone else I guess....hot, lots of bugs and no bear......spoke to a warden on my way out and he heard there was 1 bear taken in 23s......unknown if it was a sow or not.

Acorns are the ticket... That is what we seen the bears eating. I'm sure they are only a couple of weeks away from their sweet tooth getting the best of them and heading down the mountain.

I was in 6b today and saw a small cinnamon bear eating acorns. I didn't see any in the pears, and it didn't look like they were ripe yet. The funny thing is hat I has been glassing for about 3 hours without seeing any bears when I hear something over my left shoulder. About 250 yards away this bear was working its way towards me. It was a beautiful cinnamon color, but was only 2-3 years old so I let it keep eating and then disappear down into the cut below me. David

• Like 2

I have read that but when I tried to stop breathing it made glassing really tough, my eyes got really blurry.... 😉

jk .... I know what you mean!

Was in 23 saw bear week-end before season started, but opening weekend all we saw were people, even glassed them up on the moutains and yes it was hot hot hot

Last night I talked to some people who told me they were getting bit by mosquito’s really bad the night before. They were told to take dryer sheets and rub them on your skin and clothes. They swore it worked better than bug repellent. I know dryer sheets smell, a lot, but I would rather keep the wind in my face and keep the bugs off of me. I'm going to give it a try during dove season.

Adam

Last night I talked to some people who told me they were getting bit by mosquito’s really bad the night before. They were told to take dryer sheets and rub them on your skin and clothes. They swore it worked better than bug repellent. I know dryer sheets smell, a lot, but I would rather keep the wind in my face and keep the bugs off of me. I'm going to give it a try during dove season.

Adam

why not get a bug suit... ?

at least jacket ( it's only a mesh screen) and mask, and thermacel

the part that kills me is when they crawl into your eyes while you're trying to glass! so freakin annoying

STUPID CEDAR GNATS!

James

Went up to Young Friday to pick up a coues mount from my taxidermist and was wondering what all the campers were for. Can't believe that the bear season is so early. It will be a hard year this year from what it sounds. The prickly pear fruit is lousy this year. The bears are hitting the oaks and the junipers.

• Like 1