ZBAR

Memorable hunt indeed

We had a fantastic hunt this year! The bulls were screaming & rutting hard.

My two brothers, myself, & our good friend Tony drew tags for the archery hunt. This was one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on. More than anything, I feel grateful just to have had a tag & to be able to hunt these beautiful animals. There is no place I would rather be than in elk country with friends & family.

Thanks to my wife for letting me hunt as long as need be. It really does make a HUGE difference when you don't feel the pressure from home.

Also, there are a couple of members on here I'd like to thank for their extreme generosity & help. Coach & the "Bull Whisperer" as I call him, both of you are stand up guys & have been very generous with your time & info. I'm humbled & thankful to be able to rub shoulders with good people who have the same passion I do.

Anyways!

I was able to kill my bull on day 8. I paralleled him & his cows for about an hour and a half waiting for them to make their move out into the meadow for the evening. I was able to stay close to the herd because of the thick country they were in & a steady breeze from the east. As daylight was slowing fading, I finally found an opening through the trees & let an arrow fly. Unsure on the hit, we backed out & gave the animal some time. The next morning we went to the point of impact & began tracking. I have to say, following a blood trail to your downed animal is an experience that I just can't describe. Your emotions are taking you in so many directions! What once were doubts about the hit & condition of the animal turned into supreme joy as the blood trail only got larger & larger. The beast only went 200 yards & expired! Once again, all the credit goes to good friends willing to help & show me some new country.

Daryl hammered his bull on day 4 at 20 yards & we had an easy tracking job to say the least! His bull only went 70 yards & died in some thick canyon country. Thankfully there were 4 of us and a ranger, because if not, I'm pretty sure we'd still be out there packing him out.

Tony lambasted (is that a real word?) his bull on day 3 with a Gravedigger broadhead. He only went a short distance & fell next to a road which made for an easy pack job. Gotta love that! Speaking of broadheads, Tony discovered what a Magnus Stinger cut on contact tip can do to a leg. Despite the huge gash, he continued to hunt & assist with all pack jobs. When he got home the cut was infected & he needed stitches! Hey, potentially losing your leg to infection is well worth it when you're hunting elk!!!! He's a tough SOB.

And lastly, my brother Trent arrowed his bull at 40 yards late on day 7. Once again, the knives were re-sharpened & the head lamps were put on for a pack job in a steep canyon at night.

My muscles are still sore, there are bug bites all over my body, I'm still catching up on sleep, & I need to wash my truck because there is blood everywhere! But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

post-2674-0-31586500-1379967093_thumb.jpg

post-2674-0-90690400-1379967157_thumb.jpg

post-2674-0-58094500-1379967177_thumb.jpg

post-2674-0-92008900-1379967374_thumb.jpg

post-2674-0-78477200-1379967396_thumb.jpg

post-2674-0-67630400-1379967732_thumb.jpg

post-2674-0-84489300-1379968349_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Wow!! Congrats! Trip of a lifetime is right!

Congratulations on all your bulls. It's awesome to know there are great guys here on cwt like Coach and Bull Whisperer that are willing to help others. Makes me proud to say I'm part of cwt. Kudos to all involved. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

• Like 1

You guys put it to them! Congrats

Congrats Joel, and crew.. what a special hunt for you guys...glad I could be part of it in a small way.

• Like 1