Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

36B tag filled

Opening morning shot at 4 different bucks, all will live freely to roam the hills again. I was so disappointed with my shooting ability I blamed my trusty Kimber 270WSM and put it back in the case and pulled out my Rem 7MM mag to hopefully seal the deal. Well the evening hunt was just a nice long hike. Oh well, I new Saturday was another day. Woke up early only to see doe after doe. Came back to camp frustrated. After lunch decided to have a little target practice with the guys at camp, they broke out there trusty little 22 and I had my 17HMR. We played all kinds of shooting games until the clouds rolled in and temperature was starting to drop a bit. With the 2 hours of practice I new I was ready to fill my tag. I new I wasn't going to fulfill my tag in camp so I loaded up and drove away. I drove roughly 1/2 mile from camp, parked and headed around a hill. I started glassing and immediatly saw 2 bucks. I ranged them at 195. They both were feeding away so I got low and kinda scooted and crawled within 171 yds. Set up my bi-pod and squeezed the trigger. Buck down. I watched the other buck look around and slowly walk off, if only one of my buddies were around to fill their tag. All in all, it was a great hunt. I was the only one to fill a tag out of 7 guys. My boy has this hunt Nov 8, so I know where I am taking him so that he may get the pleasure of filling his tag as well. Story and pics of his hunt in 3 weeks...stay tuned.

post-2173-0-43370900-1382928834.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, lots of opportunities, way to get in 'em! Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Congratulations on a nice do it yourself buck, good luck with your sons hunt.

That's an awesome game plan, you got to experience that adrenalin rush not only once this year but 5 times!!!! J/k, nice buck!

• Like 1

Congrats. Way to stick with it! Can't wait to hear about your son's hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Great buck! Congrats! Thanks for sharing! So did you figure out if it was you or the Kimber or were the deer doing the matrix thing around your bullets.....I bet it was the latter!

Congratulations on a very nice buck. Good job on the trophy photo on that incline and by yourself...did good!