Sign in to follow this  
ej20

european mount help

i have a deer skull that has been frozen for almost a year will i still be able to do a european mount?

it will be my first time doing one. do i just wait for it to thaw and go from there??

Call Cole at CMC Skullworks and let him work his magic. Cole is a great guy, does great work, completes it fast, and is a sponsor on this site.

• Like 4

It's still good the skin might just be a little dried out like leather. Let me know if you need any help.

Cole

Call Cole at CMC Skullworks and let him work his magic. Cole is a great guy, does great work, completes it fast, and is a sponsor on this site.

+1 :)

TJ

• Like 1

set up a stove in the backyard with a pot big enough to submerge the skull in, try the keep the antlers out of the water as much as you can. Bring the water to a simmer, after a couple hours the meat will come loose, you can pull it with your fingers, pliers, a stiff bristle brush etc. When you have it cleaned to your satisfaction change the water, add a bottle of peroxide and bring to a simmer again to bleach the skull. You can rub mud on the antlers to brown them up where they solution bleached them.

Takes a while, I usually have beers while I am boiling heads

• Like 2

I would use the pressure washer method if you have access to one. Its way faster and you don't have to deal with the smell of boiling brains for four hours. After blasting all the flesh off the skull simply soak it in peroxide over night.

• Like 1

hes fine. thaw him out , then skin out the skull, boil him for about 6 to 8 hrs, clean out skull meat, then go to the beauty supply store and get some powdered bleach, mix it with hydrogen poroxide to a paste, cover skull generiously then cover with plastic bag and keep moist for a couple days, then wash off and let dry. youll love it

• Like 2

I boil the head covering the base of the antlers tightly with foil. After that I use a small brass brush to clean up any left over gunk and then set it in a shallow tub with 40% peroxide. I then use a 1 inch paint brush and brush the peroxide over the skull careful not to get it on the antlers. I spray the skull and antlers with a clear matt finish after they dry. I cut out my own AZ plaques finish them and mount the skull. Last year I started adding the back end of the spent rifle cartridge to the plaque. Be careful with the peroxide, the first two I tried, I bleached the bottom of the antlers. I tried an antler stain, I did not like the way it turned out.

post-2060-0-58368800-1384061384_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, you can, I had an antelope head in my freezer for about 6 years. I did a european mount on it. Kinda stunk a little but still turned out fine.

I picked up some info from this topic and decided to do the skull from the Coues I shot a week ago. I'm using the 3% Peroxide and googled the heck out of Skull Cleaning. Over the course of a couple of hours and a lot of reading I came across this website. I recommend reading the sticky on the top. The skull I am doing is coming along ok but I am definitely not a taxi.

I put it in some hot water to loosen the remaining meat for a 1 1/2 hours on the side burner of my grill keeping it hot not boiling it. I let it cool and cleaned if off and picked out the brains. I put it back in with some Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda to degrease it and get the cartiledge out and it did that ok. I then rinsed it and put it into the peroxide on Thursday night. Friday I took it out and rinsed it with hot water and then soaked it in the sink under hot water and it started to leach out fatty oil so I repeated it a few times, rinsed it and put it back in the peroxide where it remains.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/board,17.0.html