Sign in to follow this  
SWINGBOW

11 year old scores an awesome buck!! Pic heavy...

We left our house in California with our camper trailer in tow on Friday evening and drove out in that crazy rain storm. When we arrived on Saturday afternoon the police had the road leading into our area blocked off because of the weather. We had driven 400 miles and no way was I not getting this kid to our spot. Luckily the two officers were friendly and let us pass.

This would be the first time that my wife and daughter (8) would join us. I didn't think that we would take it down to the wire like we did. My son drew the same tag last year and he was lucky enough to tag a spike on the third day. He decided to hold out for the next age class of buck this year.

post-1823-0-02196400-1386222488_thumb.jpg

The first few days we hunted our tails off. Seeing a ton of does a couple spikes and two bucks that were too far to go after. We put some miles on in the dark every morning to get away from the roads and people. Our plan was to work hard on the morning hunts, just my son and I. Then hike back to camp and hang out with the girls and then all 4 of us do an easier evening hunt. Our plan was working great except for the bucks weren't on the same schedule.

post-1823-0-13363100-1386223050_thumb.jpg

post-1823-0-27230700-1386222605.jpg

post-1823-0-52759600-1386222685_thumb.jpg

Took some great hikes with my daughter. the year after next she'll be trying to top her big brother's buck.

Thanksgiving day, the last day of his hunt, we had hiked in 2 miles in the dark to get where we wanted to be at first light. We got a little over heated and sweaty on the way in. After sitting in the cold glassing for 2 and a half hours we were freezing. It didn't help that my son forgot his jacket and was wearing mine. We were both shivering when this buck finally stepped out. I had my son get ready to shoot in a prone position. I ranged the buck at 376 yards. He has already killed 4 deer at all different ranges out to 400 yards with his Pre 64 model 70 .270 so I knew he was capable of making a shot like that. My dad, his grandpa gave him the gun for his birthday last year and we practice a lot.

He got all set up over his back pack but was shivering so bad he couldn't shoot. Between the cold and the sudden rush of adrenaline he was pretty shook up. I was trying to figure out how to get him warm. He plays Pop Warner football and is no stranger to push-ups so I told him to crawl behind the bush that we had been sitting under and pound out a few to warm up. He quickly did about 40 push-ups as I kept my 15's on the buck. He said he was good and settled back in to the scope. I calmly talked him through the shot. Telling him to breathe and make sure he squeezed the trigger. At the shot the buck walked straight down hill and bedded down behind a tree. I was pretty sure he had connected but couldn't see any evidence of a hit. The buck only stayed bedded for a few seconds and then got up and walked out of sight into a small cut in the side of the hill he was on.

I looked at my watch and told my son we were going to wait 10 minutes and then start walking to the tree where I had last seen the buck. I knew it would take us 15 plus minutes to get there. Thinking that would be plenty of time for the 130 grain bullet to do it's job. I could tell he wanted to go to that spot so bad. He waited the full 10 minutes with me and we went through the whole sequence a couple times. Right at the 10 minute mark we were on our way. He kept repeating "It was a good shot Dad" I could tell he wasn't sure if he hit the buck.

When we reached the tree I immediately found blood where the buck briefly bedded. The look on his face was priceless when he realized that the small red spot on the rocks was blood. We started following the blood trail. After only about 40 yards I saw the buck laying under a small ocotillo. As I pointed to the deer I told my son to be ready as we slowly inched up on him. We got to within about 35 yards and the buck jumped up. My son raised up and put one more into his boiler room dropping him in his tracks. At that point we both were all teared up and we went through a flood of emotions. All I could do was thank God for putting this animal in front of us and thank him for guiding my son's bullet to it's mark.

post-1823-0-58947100-1386222786_thumb.jpg

post-1823-0-02505500-1386222751_thumb.jpg

post-1823-0-13258200-1386222852_thumb.jpg

After the pictures we cleaned the buck and I carried him out of the canyon. We were able to get our radios to work and called my wife and daughter back at camp. We told them where we were and they were there in no time to lend us a hand.

post-1823-0-44622400-1386222934_thumb.jpg

post-1823-0-42210700-1386222894_thumb.jpg

post-1823-0-45576600-1386222959_thumb.jpg

This kid works so hard at everything he does. He's an amazing athlete. Playing football, soccer, wrestling and of course hunting his butt off with me. I couldn't be more proud of him. Next stop Mexico in January. Where him, my dad and myself will all be trying to get Coues bucks.

• Like 17

Great story! Huge congrats to your son! Really cool that the whole family hunts together! Cannot wait for my turn with my sons!

Very nice buck and great story congrats to your son. Its great to get them going at a young age. Good looking family.

Very nice buck....congrats! Good story! The .270 does it again ;) I love it when the whole family is involved in the hunt. You have a great hunting partner for life.

There's no doubt there was a flood of emotions flowing all over that day. Great story and all the pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing and congratulations to your son. :)

TJ

Swingbow - Beautiful story! I'm glad to see your son connected on that good looking buck!

This is what it's all about. Great write up and pics of the family.