Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Hunting with a friend who has a tag

It sure doesn't seem like there is a consensus on this subject. Who cares what it "looks" like, what is the law? I like the idea of an extra gun along, but certainly wouldn't do it if I was going to get cited for it.

It sure doesn't seem like there is a consensus on this subject. Who cares what it "looks" like, what is the law? I like the idea of an extra gun along, but certainly wouldn't do it if I was going to get cited for it.

exactly. too many wardens harassed too many hunters back in the day causing this problem. i just went through this on my elk hunt with my father in law. he was paranoid cause i had my back up rifle in the truck and there was 4 of us (only i had a tag). the G&F can assume anything they want but until i break a law they can pound sand if they want to accuse me of something i am not doing.

• Like 1

There is nothing illegal about carrying a gun with you while someone else is hunting with you. If you are properly licensed, do not break game laws, there is nothing legally that they can do to you. They wouldn't even touch it in court unless they have physical, observable evidence that you broke a game law.

If you are concerned about it, purchase a lion tag and you are 100% in the act of hunting for an animal that you are properly licensed to hunt. You are still even properly licensed if all you have is a license anyways. You are hunting coyotes or anything else in season. Don't worry about or stress out. If you are not breaking laws then you have nothing to be concerned with.

Remember, for them to cite you, they have to have evidence that you broke or were in the act of doing something illegally. To carry a weapon with a proper license does not constitute you breaking the law. Even if you are helping someone carry out an animal...... heck for that matter, save the entry point on the animal to check caliber size.

Not a big deal at all unless you make it one.

Years ago there was a law that limited those who could be in the field with a rifle during a permitted hunt to those with a valid permit. So if I had drawn a deer permit and you hadn't, I was the only one who could carry a rifle. After multiple revisions, this law is now gone. Now days the answer is yes you can carry a rifle if you have a valid license while out with a friends on their deer hunt. However, this looks like you are buddy hunting to a Game Ranger. In addition you are not helping your friend find a deer if you are shooting at coyotes. My recommendation is to leave the rifle in the truck or at home until your friend gets a deer.

Looks like I am not the only one not out hunting today! As I reread my post, I see some of my bias coming out. My bias is based on 51 years of hunting in Arizona including 20 years enforcing the states game laws. I found while working for AZG+F that sometimes people who said that they were hunting coyotes or mountain lions during deer season were actually out attempting to shoot a deer for another! This was sometimes, not always, but I must admit, it has biased me.

From a practical stand point, I don't like my helpers to pack a rifle while glassing with me. I have found that their attention often gets diverted from my goal of finding a big whitetail buck to looking for a lion, bear, coyote or bobcat. I like to eat whitetail deer more than the other creatures I mentioned so this does cause conflict. I do remember a morning that I relented and let my son , who was properly licensed, use my rifle to shoot a lion that I had glassed up. This was after I had given up all hope of finding a nice buck that morning.

I would like to rephrase my recommendation on this subject to: Learn the law and do what is best for the situation that you are in.

The burden to prove a crime beyond a resonable doubt rests with the state (at least it's supposed to). In the absence of some evidence to present to a judge that shows the simultaneous actions of pursuit of a particular species and available method of take, what probable cause for arrest is there? Looking at a deer through binoculars in the adsence of a deer tag and the presence of a rifle doesn't prove intent to kill that deer. There simply needs to be more to make a case. Heck the 2nd Ammendment puts the rifle legally in your possession - "I carry this rifle because I don't know who or what I'll run into out here". G&F officers have their work cut out for them - getting to probable cause in the vastness of the AZ wilderness is tough.

If would be great if a sworn G&F could weigh in and give their 2 cents from a position of experince and past cases.

This year while the wife was hunting in 30b and I asked the gw he said it was my right to carry a gun(as we all know)I said well I always have a lion tag he then said cool and asked me to carry just in case because there where some lions in the area. He said the only time they look down on it is when there is a lot of guns like 6 guys all carring and one tag but there is nothing they can do but keep an eye on them. I carried my 7mm the rest of the hunt. So good luck and get them yotes out of there

You would be fine to carry with or without a lion tag or license, unless you are on a refuge or somewhere with special regulations.

I asked about this exact situation when I was purchasing a lion tag at the AZGFD office a few years ago. The lady (Tice) was delighted that I was getting the lion tag, but was very matter of fact in telling me I could carry my rifle whenever/wherever I chose, license, tag or not.

Great discussion guys! I still don't know how a lion tag ends up being a "qualifier" for doing this, and someone mentioned earlier that glassing wasn't "actively pursuing" the game animal so I believe I'm good to go...

Great discussion guys! I still don't know how a lion tag ends up being a "qualifier" for doing this, and someone mentioned earlier that glassing wasn't "actively pursuing" the game animal so I believe I'm good to go...

Reason for lion tag is same reason as not going to a gun fight with a knife.....its not a rule, you hardly ever see a lion, chance of seeing one increase when in the field. Plus if you see a lion with a tag shoot it. your hunting license allows you to carry/hunt ie., coyotes, cats etc.....

The 2nd amendment allows you to carry a weapon no matter what hunting season, who your hunting with, or what tag you have.
Bingo