naturegirl

Poaching a lion - updated with pics

Did you find a dead lion with a arrow wound? If not there is No evidence that anything was shot based on the pictures. And obviously your camera was NOT stolen, since you have the pictures from it. Maybe he was looking at the camera to see if there was a name or number of the person who owned it so he could contact you about hunting this water hole??? I often do that. I would also say that those were 3 cats, not kittens... Shoot!

Completely agree, Kill them all!!

I let lions go all the time! A lion deserves every bit as much respect as any deer or elk. Your ignorant comment is like saying because you don't want to shoot a spike you should have somebody along that does. IMO no dog guy should just take somebody along to kill a lion, they should only take somebody along who wants to experience the hunt and hunt hard enough to take a nice mature lion. I get plenty of hunters that always tell me, "if you need somebody to come along and shoot a lion give me a call."

Tell me why in the heck would I call anyone that says that? That would be stupid. I would rather let any lion go then take somebody along who only wants to go if they are pulling the trigger. JMO

And yes, the lions in those pics have spots and are immature lions. Anyone who says different has not seen very many lions.

Nathan

Didn't intend to sound ignorant. I feel plenty of hunters out there would enjoy to tag along chasing lions with dogs and would be completely satisfied with their hunt while tagging a smaller cat.

Young lions like that kill and get the blood taste and kill just to kill and not eat the animal those are a year old they could make it.

111. Wth are you talking about??? Small tailed lions??? I tell you what. You go spend the time and money it takes to have good lion dogs. Then go hunt and see how easy it is to catch a lion. Your clueless to tell houndsmen they should bring extra hunters and kill everything they catch.

• Like 7

The level of ignorance is amazing when it comes to lions...statements that have no basis in fact! Such as, lions getting a taste for blood and then killing for the sake of killing without eating what they kill. How was that determined? I have heard of instances when predators would slaughter domestic sheep in a killing frenzy. Dogs will do that if given the chance. Can anyone provide evidence that it has ever happened among wild game such as deer? Lion kills frequently get eaten by other animals such as coyotes. Obviously the lion will then kill again. You don't come across very well when you make statements like, " kill em all!" Pretty short sided view, if not downright stupid. How about ranchers and farmers who suffer crop damage from elk and deer advocating wholesale slaughter of those animals?

• Like 10

Since I've posted these pictures, I've been shown other pictures from the same tank with a lioness and 2 cubs, kittens, "immature lions," or whatever we should call them.

My husband and I have been talking and would like to hunt lions and coyotes after the unit closes for pig hunts. We do not know much about predator hunting, but I do know that the lion population is healthy in this particular area so we will at least attempt to do our part and hunt the hunters. Most hunters I know (and most definitely myself) hunt deer, elk, etc., but never hunt predators.

I haven't personally hunted this unit in a couple years, but I have been there a bit over the last couple weeks. There's definitely still a great population of pigs and I managed to see about as many mule deer as I always have in the past. Just yesterday I watched 4 bucks (one was a monster-biggest I've ever seen) with 2 does. I had 3 stalk opportunities and got 60 yards from the 2nd biggest one, but couldn't close the gap any closer and the does busted me. Not too bad for a solo hunt though.

I haven't spoken to G&F yet, but I will to inquire how he thinks the deer population is doing knowing the lions appear to be thriving in the area.

The cats on that lionesses hip would have a tough time surviving on their own. They look to me like they could use another 6 month to a year learning from mom.

Lions need controlled, not eliminated. There is nothing so thrilling as to get a glimpse of one these creatures while out in the sticks, to humble a man. They live by their wits and fangs and I respect them and hunt them. I'm talking from the point of view of a former rancher whom has lost livestock to them. It's the price we pay sometimes for sharing the top rung in the food ladder.

• Like 7

/> If i did'nt know better, I would conclude that coyotes, bobcats, bears, and eagles have no impact on fawn and calf mortaility...only those pesky lions! Eliminate lions and within a very short time there will be a trophy rack on every wall!

You just nailed it! :-)

Yeah ... what he said. All of those animals effect fawn survival. And one reason why lions do kill as many deer as they do is that coyotes steal their kills. I'd argue that taking out a couple of dogs does more for fawn survival than taking out a lion ... could be wrong there, but I don't think I am from what I have read and heard.

• Like 1

The juvenile cats definitely had what can still be considered spots which would have made hunting any of them illegal. Whether or not they were old enough to survive on their own doesn't really matter if you are in jail for violating the law. As a hunter if I saw any sort of dark/black spots on an immature lion I'm standing down every time and that includes shooting the mother. I don't think we know for sure what the photographed guy was doing and shouldn't necessarily pass judgement. Game cameras are pretty easy to steal so unless nature girl's cam was chained to a tree I doubt he was trying to steal it otherwise he would have. Now regarding the mask that also isn't necessarily suspicious. I wear I camo mask all the time when stalking prey. After the missed shot he probably figured "what the heck I already spooked them" and took it off. After letting things settle down a bit he could've have put the mask on again to resume hunting. Not saying this guy was innocent or guilty just pointing out there are multiple theories that explain his actions.

Soley on the subject of big cats killing just to kill...

Long well documented story shortened... The lions in the KOFA national refuge near Yuma were suspects in the drastic decrease in sheep numbers on the refuge. A few lions were collared to gain data on the subject. When a lion spent time in one area that spot was investigated. Multiple deer size game including sheep would be found cached by a single lion in a weeks time. Not eaten or partially eaten. Just stuffed in a bush. The same lions would kill way more than they could eat and move on. (I'm assuming thats where a lot of the comments come from). It was so bad and so obvious that the commision decided if a lion killed X number of sheep in a month, it would be classified an offending lion. Once the lion left the refuge it would be eliminated. Caused quite the stir down here and with activists of the smelly kind.

I don't have a dog in this fight but rememered this deal and thought I would share. PS I always buy my lion tag.

• Like 2

I have to agree, there are spots, I can clearly see them from a photo, so you know you could definitely see them in the field. I would not take that shot.

That lion in the Kofa range killed 22 sheep in two months the herd still hasn't responded. I don't have a dog in this fight just stating facts. Last time I checked I've never seen a skinny lion right, wrong, or indifferent those younger cats would survive.

• Like 3

The level of ignorance is amazing when it comes to lions...statements that have no basis in fact! Such as, lions getting a taste for blood and then killing for the sake of killing without eating what they kill. How was that determined? I have heard of instances when predators would slaughter domestic sheep in a killing frenzy. Dogs will do that if given the chance. Can anyone provide evidence that it has ever happened among wild game such as deer? Lion kills frequently get eaten by other animals such as coyotes. Obviously the lion will then kill again. You don't come across very well when you make statements like, " kill em all!" Pretty short sided view, if not downright stupid. How about ranchers and farmers who suffer crop damage from elk and deer advocating wholesale slaughter of those animals?

Unless I am mistaken this is a HUNTING forum. I do not care about the management of predators only the hunting of them and their prey. If you are then good for you! Less predators equals more game to kill for us. More 70inch deer for most of you and a better chance for some of us to find a 120. I will shoot or attempt to shoot every predator I see be it a lion, coyote, jaguar or wolf. hahahahaha. Not really.....