naturegirl

Poaching a lion - updated with pics

Sounds to me like, some folks are jealous, a baby lion might kill a deer before they can

• Like 7

The question about whether these are spotted kittens or not is a fair one. It reminds me of a discussion we had in the hunters education class I went through with my 9 year old son the past couple of weeks. Many of you might recall the "Shoot or Don't Shoot" video they play, and then ask the kids if they should or should not shoot in a given situation. I like what the instructor Andy told the kids. He said "Chosing not to shoot is never the wrong answer." In our lion situation I would suggest that if there is any question about spots whatsoever, not shooting would be the only ethical response.

• Like 10

i never understood the hate for lions, wolves, or other predators. when it comes down to it we are in the same boat. get over it, its life.

its close enough for me that i wouldnt shoot those cats or the female. thats how i understand the law.

• Like 2

/>In our lion situation I would suggest that if there is any question about spots whatsoever, not shooting would be the only ethical response.

Legal does not necessarily equate to ethical, and perhaps in this situation perhaps illegal may not equate to unethical. I would say that killing any animal with young offspring and leaving them motherless to starve is unethical, however in this situation, these animals certainly appear large enough to provide for themselves not necessarily reliant on their mother for life. Not excusing the actions, they are still illegal. Just wanted to make a point that just because some stuffed suit in the legislature or a commission office decides something should not be permitted does not necessarily mean that it will violate my personal ethos.

• Like 1

wait, is that pic in the OP the lions with the spots? i would have shot, no question.

yes, see the "spots" on the inside of the legs of the younger lions? It means they are juveniles....however they could likely survive on their own at that age.

I doubt AGFD would consider those "spotted kittens".....but it's an interesting question that I never thought about.

Interesting. How do you know it was poached? Maybe they had a legitimate tag....... Or was the unit closed to lion hunting at the time?

S.

Not allowed to shoot a lion with spots...

Also not allowed to shoot mom if she is with spotted kittens.

My ignorance about the law! Thanks for the info.

S.

:)

i opened the pic up to the large version on two different computers and i see faint spots on the legs and body. its easy to tell especially when you compare it to the larger female. anyways i wouldnt shoot cause its to close for me. just my opinion.

Spots are spots now matter how big the spots or lions are as far as my money, hunting privileges, and conscience go. But if the shooter understood the law how it is writtin why was he tampering with the camera then disguising his face afterward?

• Like 5

I want to clarify a few things and as soon as I can find the time, I'll post the pics minus human faces.

I clearly see spots. Game and Fish agreed with me that they had spots. It was investigated, but as mentioned I have no idea of the outcome. It was 3 years ago. I only post it now because I was curious what others would say because of the age/size of the kittens and it was something interesting from a trail cam.

I also was very suspicious just because of him tampering with the camera and then putting on face masks to comb the area. I looked up the regs myself, asked the G&F officer about the reg....all before I forwarded the pictures to him.

I need to clarify I do not have a picture of a hit or a kill so I'm not exactly sure what happened, but when you look at the pictures you can fill in the blanks yourselves.

Hey sorry if anybody recognizes themselves on the pictures. Guess you should've worked harder to steal my camera.

• Like 2

i can barely see spots on those cats, for all i know he legitimately didnt see the spots and was hunting legal. if not for messing with your camera id say its chicken chit to post their pics. but they did so post on.

Here's some of the pics. Let's see what everyone thinks. I didn't post all the pics as there are just too many. There are quite a few of my camera being moved around, but you can get the idea by the pics I am posting.

post-5072-0-38360100-1387290712_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-96617700-1387290734_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-07696400-1387290754_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-45213900-1387290792_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-85585500-1387290810_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-75358100-1387290966_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-25235400-1387290989_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-98475200-1387291009_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-41221000-1387291030_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-78974700-1387291053_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-97188100-1387291073_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-38191600-1387291090_thumb.jpg