naturegirl

Poaching a lion - updated with pics

when I open the pics I can see the spots on the front legs.... and messin with someones cam when you were doing something illegal ( if you didn't think what you did was illegal you wouldn't have messed with the cam) not much he could say to change my mind with evidence like that. it was 9am, plenty of light out. It's his responsibility to know what he's shooting at.

James

• Like 2

Looks like he is up to no good and he knows it based on the pics.

Per Naturegirls cam pics At 8:56.48... you see the mother lion full sprint bolting from the water hole.... but no wounds or entrance/exit holes from an arrow in that pic. No blood or arrow sticking out, etc... A few min. and pics later you have a hunter walking by with bow casually. If you think about it... my guess on what likely happened is the archer shot and missed... he knew he missed and was looking for his arrow. Had he thought he hit the lion... he wouldn't be walking by without an arrow knocked and ready to put another one in it as it would be pretty dangerous to head towards a wounded lion without bow ready to fire off another arrow. Not arguing ethics/legality... just observations on what may have happened.

On a side note... photofool... I completely disagree with you. These younger LIONS (not kittens) would absolutely survive without their mother. They're both larger than any bobcat out there. Not sure how you could say this.... these cats are pretty high up on the food chain and survive for a living... tell me which predator would take them out. They are pretty big.

Also... few pics later you see him walking back to original spot with arrow in his right hand... the arrow he missed with then went and retrieved... no blood.

I think you guys are all speculating whether he shot or not. There is no exact proof in these pictures. Perhaps they walked up to the drinker, scared the lions off, saw them leaving, and snuck past the water looking for the lions. Glimpses of lions running from the tank would have me reacting the same way. Sneak up to the water looking to see if the lions were still hanging in the short distance, looking at their tracks. You can't tell what they saw from their point of view when the lions left. Maybe all they saw was the butt end of one through the bushes as they approached.

Ask yourselves what you would be doing if you saw lions running off from the tank you were walking up to????? I am sure 99% of us would be sneaking around all suspiciously! I'm sure you would take after cause you didn't get that good of a look and then come back and check out the tracks and what not.

Messing with your cam seems a little shady but they didnt take it soooooo. Seems they did not see it in the first place and prob didnt want their picture taken anyway. Really pretty dumb to put on the face masks after the fact.

Innocent until proven guilty people!!! Sheesh

• Like 3

Critter

After 45+ years of hunting, studing and photographing lions I am very confident in saying these YOUNG lion cubs have not yet mastered the skills

to catch and kill the prey they need to survive. Also if either of the young lions are male, the tom that controls that territory will kill him on the spot.

• Like 1

I see spots. Clearly.

Did the hunter see the spotted kittens? Maybe. Maybe not.

The Judeo-Christian tradition has a maxim contained Proverbs 28:1 which says “The wicked flee when no one pursues.” It goes on to say, ironically in this case, that “But the righteous are bold as a lion.” Here, it looks like someone here was trying to disguise themselves and hide what they did. Proverbs aren’t proof. Draw your own conclusions.

As far as predators hunting their prey to extinction it seems to be fairly rare. In fact, I can’t think of an example of that in the natural world, unless you include us.

Okay, gotta throw in my 3cents since I am all flustered about it now......

Nature girl: Thank you for standing up for what is right.

Becker: You bring up a great point, we were not there and don't know the whole story.

Seldom Drawn: I find your opinions and posts appalling. Based on your posts, I think you are part of a minority that negative connotations about hunting and "hunters" are drawn from. Your quote below about 80% of hunters not following the law is way off; I know many people in the hunting community, none of which would break any rules in regards to hunting. Your quote also sounds like you are condoning stealing cameras.

Seldom drawn said: "Naturegirl, Why would you even post this, is it because they stole your camera, I would guess that over 80% of hunters have done something wrong in their hunting life"

• Like 1

I think you guys are all speculating whether he shot or not. There is no exact proof in these pictures. Perhaps they walked up to the drinker, scared the lions off, saw them leaving, and snuck past the water looking for the lions. Glimpses of lions running from the tank would have me reacting the same way. Sneak up to the water looking to see if the lions were still hanging in the short distance, looking at their tracks. You can't tell what they saw from their point of view when the lions left. Maybe all they saw was the butt end of one through the bushes as they approached.

Ask yourselves what you would be doing if you saw lions running off from the tank you were walking up to????? I am sure 99% of us would be sneaking around all suspiciously! I'm sure you would take after cause you didn't get that good of a look and then come back and check out the tracks and what not.

Messing with your cam seems a little shady but they didnt take it soooooo. Seems they did not see it in the first place and prob didnt want their picture taken anyway. Really pretty dumb to put on the face masks after the fact.

Innocent until proven guilty people!!! Sheesh

so much this. who is to say he didnt just walk up to the tank and looked around at the lion tracks. i nock an arrow everytime i walk into the woods when bowhunting.

• Like 1

Did you find a dead lion with a arrow wound? If not there is No evidence that anything was shot based on the pictures. And obviously your camera was NOT stolen, since you have the pictures from it. Maybe he was looking at the camera to see if there was a name or number of the person who owned it so he could contact you about hunting this water hole??? I often do that.

I would also say that those were 3 cats, not kittens... Shoot!

• Like 3

Copy and paste from the regs

Any lion except spotted kittens or
females accompanied by spotted kittens

Just a thought, but there is no question the cats have spots. I would question the "kitten" part. I would not consider these cats, kittens, I would consider them juveniles sort of the proverbial teenager.