Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

How many points?

I posted a similar question in the sheep forum - didn't want anyone to think I was having a brain fade. :) What's it take to get a tag? I know it varies, anyone could get lucky with minimal points, so looking for thoughts about it. I have 13 points for the next draw. I have been putting in for units 10 and 7, not necessarily in that order. Let's hear it boys and girls. I want an Arizona antelope hunt!

I had 19 points when I drew my 4b rifles tag and I was one less than max and that was 4 years ago with applying since I was 10 years old.

Bank on getting lucky for awhile. I haven't looked it up but your draw odds for those units are probably still single digits assuming you are applying for a rifle tag.

Last year, I landed a 5B rifle with 7 points.

With 23 pts xforce you can pretty much pick what you want.

At 13 pts you can draw archery. Count on waiting another 7 yrs to get in the bonus pass. But in AZ you can draw any year in the 1-2 pass.

In the words of Lloyd Christmas: So you're sayin there's a chance!!!

• Like 2

I'm sitting on 23 points. Thinking of archery in 2014 either unit 1 or 5bN. Are my odds good?

I wouldn't burn them on a archery tag, go rifle kill a big buck then start putting in for archery.

Seldom Drawn

• Like 3

Got to agree with seldom drawn. I'm doing the same. Don't burn all your points on an archery tag. Draw your rifle tag then start putting in for archery. I will be doing that and just bought my 4th point for Wyoming a few months ago. Good luck to everyone in the draw this year!

• Like 1

Currently have 21 pts and my odds of drawing this year aren't much better than last. Could have a tag in a couple rifle units, but the one I'm after could take close to five years to draw. There used to be great info on draw odds for antelope on monstermuleys, but that has changed. You can still get specific draw odds for each unit from the azgfd. Last I saw you could guarantee a rifle tag in the 13A/B area with close to 17-18 pts. It took around 20 pts to draw rifle in 3, 18A/B, 19A and a couple others. It took around 21-22 pts for units 5,7,9. Unit 10 rifle was a guarantee draw about 4 years ago with 20 pts, but now takes max (23,24?), or one less. With ten more tags in unit 10 this year it will most likely help out the higher end point holders a little bit. Most of the units continue to take longer to guarantee a tag because the amount of applicants increase significantly just below max pts. It's almost like a point creep which will make a guarantee draw in certain units take many more years to draw depending on the unit you are after.

I have read the bonus pass section in the AZ G&F regulations, but I guess I am still not clear on how all of this works. I will have 24 points for antelope this year. For this reason I am trying to make sure I understand this system. From what I understand 20% of the big game tags are set aside for the applicants with the highest number of points, is this correct? Does this mean that if there are 90 tags in unit 10, then 18 are set aside for the applicants with the highest number of points? Say for argument, that the highest number of points any applicant has is 24, and there are 15 residents with 24 points, all of these applicants would be drawn? (as long as their application is not requested for some reason.) If so then this would leave 3 permits still in the bonus pass pool. At that point if there are 50 applicants with the next highest level of points in this example 23 bonus point then these 50 applicants would then be placed in a drawn for the 3 permits? the help of some of the knowledgeable members is appreciated.

Thanks Phil