Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Do you wear gloves when cleaning game?

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear rubber gloves when cleaning an animal?

• All the time
    • Sometimes
    • Never
  2. 2. Do you wear cut resistant gloves when cleaning an animal?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

It is said that hunting happiness, is a large gut pile. I agree. I just don't want to be up to my elbows in that gut pile. I use the latex cleaning gloves that go all the way to the elbow. It eliminates most of the crusty nastiness that follows a gutting. I have never tried the gutless method, although I will next season.

Fixing cars for a living I wear gloves all day long, I always bring them hunting but always forget I have them, never used them. I don't mind takin a chew with bloody hands.
Not sure if there is ever a bad time to take a chew.
  • Like 3

It is said that hunting happiness, is a large gut pile. I agree. I just don't want to be up to my elbows in that gut pile. I use the latex cleaning gloves that go all the way to the elbow. It eliminates most of the crusty nastiness that follows a gutting. I have never tried the gutless method, although I will next season.

I didn't know anyone still gutted animals?

• Like 2

With the gutless method you hardly get bloody, so I don't bother anymore.

• Like 2

With the gutless method you hardly get bloody, so I don't bother anymore.

"Hardly" being the key word.. :)

Plenty of folks still take the heart and liver but even with the gutless method you're going to get bloody and have greasy fat on your hands. With the trend to shooting these little deer with monster magnum calibers and plastic tipped boolits you are bound to get bloodshot meat, hence lots of blood clots to be removed.

I don't mind using gloves but they always rip and I end up just tossing them aside and going commando. LOL

I'm always wearing gloves when cleaning rabbits.

I use them everytime but I have psoriasis on my hands so can't imagine not using them. Nitrile or vinyl last much longer than latex and latex powder burns if you have any kind of cuts the others will not. Home Depot had black ones made by gear monkey that were a bit more durable than the blue ones.

I've taken to carrying along the gloves everywhere. Face it you don't want oil and grease, blood or ... other ... contaminants ruining any part of your hunt. Keeping clean throughout the hunt helps your odds at getting close, and helps preserve the meat you worked so hard for. No disrespect for the old-school methods. I go gutless - but I still wear surgical gloves when field dressing, and when nature calls out in the woods. Lost of baby-wipes too - There's no such thing as being "too clean" when hunting, IMO.

I grew up hunting with two peanut butter sandwiches down the front of my shirt, a canteen on my belt, Old Timer in my pocket along with a book of matches and some cord. One day my Dad came home with a fanny pack and my brother and I were insanely jealous.

Now my pack feels like there's a good buck in it before I even leave the truck. No rubber gloves for me, just one more thing.

• Like 2

I use gloves for large game but not for small game. When hunting small game I don't carry my hunting pack and that's where I keep my gloves.

/> It is said that hunting happiness, is a large gut pile. I agree. I just don't want to be up to my elbows in that gut pile. I use the latex cleaning gloves that go all the way to the elbow. It eliminates most of the crusty nastiness that follows a gutting. I have never tried the gutless method, although I will next season.

I didn't know anyone still gutted animals?

You're supposed to check-in and weigh your animals whole (without the guts) on Ft Huachuca, so I couldn't use the gutless method on my Coues this past year. I will do it if and when I get one off-post.

I can never seem to remember to bring any gloves. Some of my hunting buddies do and I have worn them occasionally. I don't like wearing gloves at all, but it really makes clean up easier. Maybe I will get smarter and remember to bring some for my javie hunt.