Sign in to follow this  
sherman

what do you do with your kill

I take mine to Miller's southwest processing and have it made into chorizo or breakfast sausage but I'm going have to take it else where now because they raised their price to $95

Cut the meat off the bone. Bleach a cooler and rinse it out. Put the meat in with ice, salt, and apple cider vinegar. Drain it every day and add more ice, vinegar, water and salt for three days. The first couple times it will come out bloody, but the liquid is pretty much clear by the end. Dry it wrap it and freeze it. When you get ready to eat it take out a pack, let it thaw, and then put it in the crock pot. Cover it in root beer and cook it on low all day. Shred it up that night and sever it with bbq sauce and cheese on a toasted bun. Take any leftover the next day and fry it up with taco seasoning for tacos. This method leaves absolutely zero game taste, and it is fairly tender (for javalina anyways).

• Like 1

We take ours to Dickmans in Tucson. They make breakfast or chorizo from them. There has never been any smell to the meat when cooking it. When I take it to potlucks at work people don't notice that it is game. I always label it for what it is but people have a hard time believing it's javelina.

How much are you guys paying to process your pigs? 3$/lb?

This may sound dumb for me not looking but I was prepared to pay whether it be $3 or $4 per lb. I will let you know though when I get it back how much it was. Took it to wild game processing and had the whole thing done into chorizo.

I tried the vinegar soak with my last pig. Using some scientific logic - the "stink" is oil based and therefore can be removed easiest with an acid based wash. Cider vinegar is both tasty and acidic. I was as careful as field conditions would allow on a warm spring day. I hurried a bit because I was more concerned about mid 70's warmth, intense sun, and a 20 minute hike out. I carefully quartered the meat trying to keep all contact with hair and hide away from the meat. The quarters were clean but still a bit "skunky". The meat went on ice within 30 minutes and when home I soaked it a few hours in cider vinegar, water and ice. Patted it dry and the smell was 100% gone. Freezer aged for over a year and then ground with a little pork fat. Browned up with a little garlic salt and black pepper - it was as good or better than ground pork. See my post in the recipe section. I added ground pork and made green chile. I intended to make tamales but it was so good that I have been eating it by the bowl, in new mexico style enchiladas, and in quesadillas.

I prefer mine made into sausage I do myself.

TJ

• Like 1

Clean butcher it and grind it. Mixed with your favorite dry jerky seasonings and make it into jerky. I always bone mine out in the field and age it on ice for a couple days first. The jerky comes out great.

Brent

I always bone them out in the field and get them on ice in an hour or so when I get back to camp. When I get home I remove any fat and hair (there is always some)and then put the meat in a 5 gallon bucket with a few cups of salt and a couple of bags of ice to make an ice bath.

I leave it for 12 hours then drain and repeat. This works like a charm and removes the stink and blood.

Dickman's charges $50/pig. If you debone it...they charge per pound. I did 1/2 hamburger and 1/2 chorizo this year.