My attitude about New Mexico can be summarized by a slogan on a t shirt I once saw . . . New Mexico, just like the old one.

But recently I have been given reason to wonder, what do NM guys love about their state? So I'd like to hear from their perspective, what do people in New Mexico have better than people in AZ?

More Oil & Gas development in New Mexico, better microbreweries and that's about it.

Im married to a 4th generation New Mexican (pre-statehood). According to her everthing is better there. She has a t-shirt that says... New Mexico, Its Not New and its Not Mexico.

About the only thing I will concede to them is the food.

• Like 3

I grew up in NM. Food is better and people are nicer for the most part. That's about it.

Im a transplant to Arizona after living for 26 years in NM, so I am biased.

Even though the state has less public land than Az (Nm=47%, Az=57%), the population if the state is slightly over 2 million, vs 6 million for Az. Albuquerque, once the highest crime rate in the nation per capita, only has ~600k people, and plenty of family friendly and young/old things to do within a short drive in the city. From an outdoors perspective, it has all the critters Az does and then some more (oryx, barbary sheep, eastern wt, ibex) and all on public land.

WAY more high country streams for fishing and most of the state sits close to or above 5k feet which also helps their elk population.

Personally, I also feel that NM has more historical culture and value placed in agrarian live style and anyone that has been to a pueblo feast day or visited the state fair can attest to that.

Generally, people are friendlier, and not so rushed.

It is similar to Az in that you can drive for two hours and be in a different type of habitat.

I will say though that for as much as people complain about Az's Game Commission they have way less political influence on them than NM game Commission as each member of their commission HAS to come from or represent a special interest group rather than sportsman/women.

Like Az the state underfunds public schools and continually ranks lowest (not a reflection of the teachers, just not a state priority).

Last but not least, the food is amazing.

Oh yah...you also arent forced to spend $700 registering a new vehicle.

• Like 5

Cops in New Mexico are like Barney FiFe!.............BOB!

I was born in NM, raised all over but mostly AZ. I love the way NM manages their water - not as big of fan of how they manage their cattle and ranchers - those guys (select few) are downright crazy. I like hunting NM, but it's a different world. Lots of guys I know who guide in both states have been shot at, threatened at gunpoint, told in the middle of the night that they won't leave NM alive - we call it the Catron County boys complex, but when I hunt NM, I feel like I'm in a whole other country. Property does NOT have to be clearly marked or posted, and if you get on the wrong side of a boundary line, it's on you. It doesn't have to be fenced or signed - it's your responsibility to be sure in all that checker-board land when you are on public or private land. And if you happen to find yourself on private land despite your best efforts, "hostile" is a soft word.

• Like 3

I grew up in Northern NM (Norteno) of Spanish descent and have been in AZ (Tucson/Chandler) the last 14 yrs. The longer I live here the more I miss NM. What NM has that AZ lacks is culture, whether it's Spanish, Native American or European. AZ has transplants as it seems nobody claims to be from here. The big city excitement gets old after a while. NM food is also amazing. The big difference is skiing! Snowbowl and Sunrise are a joke. Within a few hours drive you can be in Taos or Wolf Creek (CO). NMGF online draw is years ahead of AZGF.

AZ has great lakes and also a beach and ocean (Rocky Pt).

During this time of year it is also pretty easy to say I'd take 0 degree weather over 110 any day!

• Like 2

You guys in both places have great Mexican food.Here in N. Dakota where I have been for 3+ it is terrible. Iv'e tried all over the State and Eastern Montana. There restaraunts are just not like the southwest . Taste like Taco bell crap. And they got Mexicans cooking. Must not be able to get the ingredients here. I feel like flying back home just to get some. We make our own and We are Gringos and its better than theirs. So You Guy appricciate that . One more note AZ. has prettier Desert.................BOB!

I'm an az native. Parents are transplant. Michigan/West Virginia. 2 months ago I went to Nashville and I didn't want to come home. Az has no culture and the people are rude. The only reason I live here is because I have baby momma drama or else I would quit my job liquidate my 401k to pay off my bills so I could survive on a low income job if I had too

• Like 3

I've lived in Tucson almost my whole life and to say we have no culture here is ridiculous...the people I choose to be around are proud, native southern Arizonans with a strong culture based around spending time in the beautiful deserts and mountains down here.coues steaks, javelina tacos, quail chilli and family.doesn't get much better in my book.I guess it all depends on who you surround yourself with, but that goes for anywhere.

• Like 4

Arizona Best State for Gun owners (State Rank:1).... :)!!!!

New Mexico Rank 35th. :(

• Like 3