Sign in to follow this  
dsotm

Recommend me a tent

Looking for something I can set up easily enough solo, large enough to set up a queen air mattress with room left for gear, tall enough to stand up in or close to (I'm 5'9"), and preferably under $3-400. Using a Eureka Timberline 4 that the zipper broke on this weekend and figured I'd just upgrade.

Save a little more and buy the kodiak canvas 10x14 you won't be dissapointed.

My only concern with this tent is the canvas. I'm in an apartment and don't have anywhere to set it up should I need to dry it out once I get home.

I love a 10x10 tent. Perfect for two people on cots and the one I have now is 6'+ in the center. I bought it at Cabelas two years ago and I can set it up in 15 minutes by myself, which is the norm.

It is what I would call a 2 season tent and I think I paid $125 for it. Big thing I have found with zippers is to not stretch the front corners of the tent tight. It puts more strain on the zipper.

I've camped in temps close to 0dgF but I use a tent heater. I'll have to check the brand name tomorrow. I really want one of those 10x14 $500 tents from Sportsmans.

My only concern with this tent is the canvas. I'm in an apartment and don't have anywhere to set it up should I need to dry it out once I get home.

Wipe it down good if it's wet with towels or paper towels. It won't Mildew for at least 24 hours, longer if you keep it cool that will give you enough time to find a place to set it up like Walmarts parking lot, a park or at your work.

Alaskan guide 6 man. Not the easiest to set up but I have done it many times by myself.

Set it up in your apartment. These are easy to set up and well worth the money. I can set mine up by myself in under 10 minutes at a relaxed pace ... 5 minutes if I am pressed. Got mine for $300 or so from Cabelas Bargain Cave. Was a steal at that price.

We have the Kodiak 12x9 with awning enclosure. For a tent this has all the room/features I could ever need and can't see myself needing another tent again. It says it takes 2 to setup but I set it up by myself in about 25 minutes. The 10x14 would be a good choice too.

I agree with the Kodiak. Just bought mine.

If you still don't like the canvas idea you can buy my old 10x14 Cabelas cabin tent. It's 10x14 as well. Can set it up by yourself. All zippers good and no rips or tears. $100. :D

• Like 1

Coleman instant tent. Goes up in a minute and a half. Under $150. I have the 4 man (pretty sure that is for 4 little men) wish I had the 6 man. The one I have will fit a queen size air mattress.

• Like 1

If you are looking for something inexpensive and yet good quality try looking at Wenzel tents. Our Eureka tent fell apart after many many years of use and we had to get a new tent. I looked for quite awhile at some high end tents but didn't find one I really wanted. We ended up finding a great Wenzel tent online for like $75 and we have loved it. Over 6 feet tall inside and very roomy. It's easier to set up with two people, but can be set up by one person.

They have changed their models a little since I bought ours, but I think this one is about the closest to what we have.

http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Ridge-Four-Five-Person-2-Room/dp/B002PB0DVS

Fyi, Eureka might be able to fix your old tent's zipper if you send the tent to them.

I've had many tents over the years and they all have pro & con features. At the ripe old age of 63 I decided I needed something one man could put up easily and would withstand the worse weather so I decided on a Kodiak Deluxe 10 x 14. I can have it set up under 10min. It is a heavy canvas so back packing is out of the question.

Mocha 1545 sounds like he has a pretty good deal for someone at $100.

TJ

• Like 1

Coleman instant tent. Goes up in a minute and a half. Under $150. I have the 4 man (pretty sure that is for 4 little men) wish I had the 6 man. The one I have will fit a queen size air mattress.

I hadn't seen these instant tents....they look nice for ease of setup and take down! Lots of different sizes too!

Mr Smith have you had yours out in a big rain storm yet? Do they hold up OK? How about wind?