2nd Choice - Unit 27/28 October whitetail.

I ain't complaining......But this makes 11 years I have not been able to pull a Unit 27 Mule deer tag as first choice. I think I am cursed on that draw choice.

Now I will just have to sell a kidney so I can go huntin.

I think it took me 6 years to draw that 27 tag and only came home with a bear.

• Like 1

Just drew a 12AE early rifle tag. Second one in 3 years. I guess that helps make up for 16 years for elk, and 22 years for antelope with no tags.

22 points for Sheep now, 8 Deer, 8 Turkey, added to My 20 Elk, 10 Antelope.= 68 Do I win a prize for highest # ?.Good luck to all that drew . I'M hoping for that Elk tag next year. This Year tho Got Deer tag in Montana and Antelope in Wyoming. That will get Me by till next year!..................BOB!

I ain't complaining......But this makes 11 years I have not been able to pull a Unit 27 Mule deer tag as first choice. I think I am cursed on that draw choice.

Getting a bear is a pretty good consolation prize.

• Like 1

The 27/28 has a 98% draw odd.

UNit 27 mule deer has a much lower draw odds than whitetail. I have drawn many unit 27 whitetail tags in the last ten years. Easy peezy. From the late 1970's until the late 1990's I never had a problem getting a Unit 27 mule deer tag. It all went downhill form there.

Snapshot you probably already recognize this but the mule deer population began its decline in the mid 1980's from a combination of too many hunting permits issued, accompanied by the predator population explosion. First it was the significant increase of the lion population as there became less lion hunters with dogs and then the trapping ban. That was followed by the explosion of the coyote population. Then to top it off AGFD allowed the reintroduction of the wolves. I gave up hunting mule deer in unit #27 some time in the 1990's because I would feel guilty killing one as they neared extinction in many areas of the unit (particularly on top of the rim). I remain a Coues deer hunter only, aside from my primary passion of elk hunting, until we see a "recovery" in the unit 27 mulies. Hopefully in a few more years that will be one of the positive outcomes of the devastating Wallow Fire. Having said all that I do know where there currently are some record quality mulies in 27............but not as many as we enjoyed in the 1960's to early 1980's!

• Like 1

I remember thousands of tags available in unit 27. Early and late hunts. Even up to the early 1990's I always found deer. After that a couple areas I hunted became almost void of mule deer. You were lucky to see a few does and a spindly buck in one of my spots.

I grew up hunting with my Dad up there. As he is no longer alive, I am still sentimental and enjoy hunting mule deer in our old stomping grounds and reliving fond memories of the good old days.

27 isn't the only area that has seen a dramatic decrease in mule deer. The lower desert units are unbelievably bad in areas that once held good numbers of quality bucks. The drought gets the most blame but predators are a big problem. For the life of me I don't understand why the Dept doesn't lower permit numbers. It is the one area that they control. I have heard all the rhetoric how one buck can breed so many does and that lowering of permits will do nothing. Aerial gunning of coyotes during fawning is something else I would like to see but the politically correct crowd in the Dept isn't going to allow that to happen.

Having said all of that I drew a 44A general rifle tag. First rifle tag I have had since about 1995. Not even sure I can even hit the target anymore.

• Like 1

my son and I draw this hunt as our 4th choice. The December hunts where our first two choices.

Predators is the main problem, along with to many tags. They all like to put the drought at the top of the list but us desert dwellers know how to survive in the elements including the Animals. The lions wait at the few water holes is the problem in the desert..........BOB!

• Like 1

Good point Snapshot. Reinforces the predator impact story. The Coues have just been better than the mulies staying out of trouble with the predators due to their natural habitat in some rough places for predators to take them down........unlike the mulies