Sign in to follow this  
muley224

" Coues " Pronunciation

The error is that Elliot Coues didn't know how to pronounce his own name.

LOL!! good one!

And I am with Bob....who wants to call our beautiful deer "cows"! I stick with coos because it nicer than cows and people look at you goofy if you pronounce it otherwise.

Nailed it!

Plus on almost every hunt we get to go through the whole story at camp and call them "cows" for the next half hour. Then we go right back to calling them "coos" for the rest of the hunt.

I am thinking of going with "Cola Blanca" because the spanish version sounds far more majestic. B) That and it will allow me one more conversation piece to confuse or irritate the know-it-alls at Sportsmens, Bass Pro, and Cabela's. :rolleyes:

(relax I know they have some good peeps, my buddy works at one of them)

• Like 1

In Mexico some times thats the only way to communicate with the ranch hands is by saying donde la cola blanco's..........BOB!

Coooooze, it just has a nice ring to it. It implies more grace, more majesty.

Cows sounds like, well, cows.

yep, I heard cows or couse (like house) for the correct name, but when I call them that people think I'm an idiot, I'll give them the background on the 2nd Lt that was the first biologist to write about our little grey ghosts.

Almost everywhere I hunt there are cattle. So if while glassing I told someone "I got cows." They'd think I was telling them about cattle not coues.

Just need to weigh in on this one as is one of my pet peevs.

JSYK, AZ G&F Wildlife Biologist, Jim Heffelfinger directly contacted surviving members of the "Coues" family while conducting research for book subsequently published. The family did verify that the correct pronunciation is indeed "cows".

Anything else is just regional, historical interpretation. New, younger hunters just pronounce the name as their mentor does/did.

You can now print out this reply and take it in hand next time you go to Sportsman's. It would be my hope that all of them there would know better? Matter of fact, Jim's son works at the gun counter.

Cheers,

280REM

The only person I've ever heard call them cows deer was a know it all new hunter that just had to try and correct all of us who have hunted them our entire lives on how to 'properly' pronounce coues. Havent seen him since,he already knew more about coues then us all on his first day so we never took him again....They will always be cooze to me.the pronunciation of words change over time,and even though cows might be technically correct,EVERY hunter I encounter call them cooze,so as far as I'm concerned that is the the new correct pronunciation.

From wikipedia: coues is pronounced K as in kind, ou as in proud and z as in zebra. kouz So there, if you want to be a pronouncing police. Doctor Coues came from New Hampshire where they talk funny, paak ya caa. So, here in the wild west we can pronounce the way we want with our own accent. IMHO

• Like 2

I would go with what the modern day Coues deer God Duayne Adams calls them. Thanks for all the info over the years via books and videos and phone calls Mr. Adams...........BOB!

From wikipedia: coues is pronounced K as in kind, ou as in proud and z as in zebra. kouz So there, if you want to be a pronouncing police. Doctor Coues came from New Hampshire where they talk funny, paak ya caa. So, here in the wild west we can pronounce the way we want with our own accent. IMHO

There is a good reason wikipedia is not an acceptable resource for validating or to be used as a citation of reference that is accepted in colleges and/or professional published studies. Anyone can edit and change Wikis