MULEPACKHUNTER

Current routine

I'm finding myself in the situation where I could spend my free time going to the gym, or going to the archery range. Lately the range has been winning.

I really need to get my legs and cardio in shape before the hunt, never had a problem in the past, but feel older every day

The older I get the more important this is. When I was in my 20's and 30's hunting these Coues deer was a peice of cake physically. I could hike for miles with no prolblems. Heck I was 6'4" and 150 lbs! Now at age 50 and 185 lbs. I have to work much harder to stay in shape and keep up with my boys who are in their 20's. I go most every weekday at lunch to the new state of the art fitness center here in Morenci. I do a lot of cardio work and some weights.

I really prefer to trail run to keep in shape but had a bad calf mucsle pull and I haven't ran for more than a mile or so in over 6 mos. I can still hike very well and running a lot of trail cameras in the summer also helps keep me in shape as well.

• Like 1

The older I get the more important this is. When I was in my 20's and 30's hunting these Coues deer was a peice of cake physically. I could hike for miles with no prolblems. Heck I was 6'4" and 150 lbs! Now at age 50 and 185 lbs. I have to work much harder to stay in shape and keep up with my boys who are in their 20's. I go most every weekday at lunch to the new state of the art fitness center here in Morenci. I do a lot of cardio work and some weights.

I really prefer to trail run to keep in shape but had a bad calf mucsle pull and I haven't ran for more than a mile or so in over 6 mos. I can still hike very well and running a lot of trail cameras in the summer also helps keep me in shape as well.

Scott,

looks like you are in great shape, 6'4 and 185 is great.

Current routine? What's that? :unsure: Guess I better start doing something pretty soon with a late rifle cow hunt coming up in 3 months. Actually, I've had bad knees for 35+ years now, so I try to minimize stress and strain on the joint. Been doing 15-20 mile bike rides on both weekend days. Need to drop a few pounds and start doing weights and cardio on a more regular basis during the week.

There are some good points with health issues for some. My wife has asthma very bad so she struggles with exercise but she has done what she can, like some have said its the little things that will help, park far from store, stairs not elevator, bicycle, swimming is a pain to get into unless you have a pool but it is a very good workout.

Another tip if you want success is if you decide to do something try to do it close to work, the further you drive the less likely you are to stop day in and day out. I run, hike or hit the gym right next to work when possible.

Best tip is keep it simple to start, remember there is not a secret to weight loss, lower calories in than calories burned period. With a small amount of exercise daily and a calorie negative you will lose. I have to work really hard to not gain weight, I have been heavy all my life despite being involved in every sport on earth for most of my youth. At age 35 I was 255 lbs and way out of shape (over eating) , seeing the Kona Triathlon on TV got me off my butt and by age 39 in 2012 I competed in 6 triathlons at the Olympic distance placing in 2 and winning one in my group. The second thing that got me going was the Biggest Loser show.

Like said before its a lifestyle not a diet, it has to be part of yours and your families life everyday.

• Like 3

Scott,

looks like you are in great shape, 6'4 and 185 is great.

Yeah and try and hike with him in the hills and you will truly see that he is indeed in great shape! I always try and get Scott to stop working out so he won't put me to shame!! LOL!! But now he has a conveniently located state of the art fitness center to train at!

For me its no soda or fast food. Beer goes b-bye for me this time of year. I have pretty much a full gym at home. I find my max and decrease by 20%. 3 sets. 2 of 10 reps then the third as many as i can do. Monday arms shoulders chest. Tuesday shoulders back abs. Off Wednesday. Thursday squat leg curls leg extensions. Friday I hit some shoulder chest and arms again and more abbs. I would list all the workouts but I would be here all day. Takes me an hour a day to get it all done.

• Like 1

You are way ahead of most of us I'm sure. My favorite training is trail running. Was doing it a lot for a while. I also kayak, hike and do a little weightlifting, but not enough.

Cardio 3-4 days per week, 40-50 minutes. Stair climbers, elliptical, and other variants. Some strength training. "Fork-ups" are my primary issue.

I've had substantial issues with pain in my knees. When the pain gets severe, I take Naproxin till the pain subsides then cease the medication. Interestingly enough, I started a low carb diet and within 2 weeks the pain in my knees went away. I truly believe that excessive carbs inflames my joints. Whether or not it is a gluten issue, I don't know. Sure is nice to NOT have joint pain.

• Like 1

You guys are freaking awesome. No kidding. My wife and I have a 3.5 mile walk routine in the mornings right after we get the kids off to school, then off to work.

She coaches gymnastics and teaches at school, I work a "desk job" in software, then coach football or baseball, whatever the season. By the end of the day, we're pretty spent.

As far as making healthy living a lifestyle, it's awesome to see how hard you guys work.

do days have more hours in them where you all live? My only free time is now while I have a coffee check email and peruse CWT for 5 minutes before starting breakfast for the kids and getting them off for the day. Then work for 12 pick up kids make dinner help with homework. pass out. repeat.

You guys impress me.

Until my knee started hurting yesterday, I would try to get 45+ minutes of cardio every day. Some days a 3 mile walk, some a 7 mile weighted pack walk, intervals, just jogging, 30 minutes on the elliptical on the highest tension setting, just something that pushed me. My weight training is: Monday and Thursday, back and biceps, 3 sets each for max reps with a set of 20 lunges between every set. Tuesday and Friday, chest and triceps, 3 sets each for max reps with a set of 10 one-leg squats on each leg between every set, followed by 3 sets of calf raises till exhaustion. Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday, dumbbell complexes (in Western Hunter) 6 sets of 4 reps. Diet is, tracking every bite on MyFitnessPal, keeping net calories in the 900-1500 range. No beef, no pork, no caffeine, no alcohol, no cheese, only whole grain carbs, no sugar, nothing fried, basically if it tastes good, spit it out. My wife calls it excessive or something like that, but I know from the past that I either go all out, or I don't go at all. It's pulled 29# off me in 10 weeks and I am feeling better than I have in years. If I can pull another 28 pounds off, I will be where I would like to stay. As far as time goes, I am pretty lucky there. I am a mud engineer and on my weeks on, if things are going good, I only actually work about 3 hours a day (probably what got me so out of shape in the first place). On my week off, my wife and I train together. She is a stay-at-home mother, so when we get the oldest 3 off to school, we have 7 hours to train with just the baby, and she is usually in the stroller or playing in the floor watching us (she gets a kick out of seeing us sweat I think).

• Like 1