Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

ALERT ALERT -HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Well to day was kind of a wake up call- now I've had Tinnitus for 20+ YEARS.

Today we were out scouting for an upcoming deer hunt. putting out cameras etc.

We had hiked in about 2-3 miles and found a couple of good spots , even a nice spring with water and a ton of tracks.

Now I found a spot in the shade to wait while my friend mounted a camera . so I'm relaxing in the shade and Steve comes over and says Gary - do not move - don't you hear that rattler buzzin.

I'm like - yeah right - Steve is dead serious - DO NOT MOVE , he's right here someplace. we don't see a coiled snake ,so I stood up. With that action - Steve repeats - Gary Don't you hear that rattler. NOPE don't hear a thing except my ears ringing .

Well , we find the snake - a little black guy up under a rock , less than 6 ft from where I've been sitting.- I never heard a thing - Steve could hear him from 20 + feet away . So ,we try to get it out so we can kill it - I'm within 3-4 ft poking the hole with a stick and I still hear NOTHING. I'm told he's buzzin like a band saw

We dispatch the snake and I turn to Steve and say - HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

I also have tinnitus, but maybe not that bad. Hard to hear in crowds. That is scary when you can hear a danger warning.

I also have had tinnitus for many years. I can usually hear a rattler. High frequency beeps/whistles I don't hear, and background noise kills my hearing. Funny though...I can hear the faintest elk bugle. My ringing ears sound more like cicadas...every second of every day. Does anyone know of supplements that may help?

Would have been a real big problem if you sat on it. Kind of like that scene from "City Slickers".........."You want me to suck out the poison"? Eeeeeewwww! :lol:

I have a little ear ringing at times. Too many years of woodworking machinery without using ear protection. Not sure if there is any fix?

Be careful around them snakes!

I'm too deaf to hear my tinnitus.

I have it too. Left ear mostly but is starting to creep into the right one too. Its the loudest thing in the room most of the time and sometimes seems worse than other days.

Today is one of the bad days. All the technology in this world and yet the doc tells you you just have to live with it.

I used to have above average hearing too, now I cant really even tell what direction a sound is coming from.

I hate tinnitus.

My left ear is ringing (like always) as I type. My biggest thing I've noticed is I can't hear over background noise. If my wife talks to me and say I'm doing dishes, I have to turn the water off.... of course if she learned to speak a little louder to me, that would help!

My left ear is ringing (like always) as I type. My biggest thing I've noticed is I can't hear over background noise. If my wife talks to me and say I'm doing dishes, I have to turn the water off.... of course if she learned to speak a little louder to me, that would help!

Or if she learned to do the dishes that wouldn't be a problem either. ..lol

• Like 6

Sounds like there's a lot of us with this "condition". At home, I can't sleep without a loud fan on. When we travel, especially in hotel rooms when there is no background noise, it's crazy loud. The quieter it is, the louder the ringing is. I've just lived with it so long it seems normal, but there are certain ranges of sound I simply can't hear. My wife has to remind me if my turn signal is left on after changing lanes.

I don't know if I caused mine by blaring 80's rock in my car as a kid or too much shooting without ear protection, or if it's just genetic.

I've had it for many years now. Thanks to all the Iron Maiden, Metallica, Queensryche, Van Halen concerts I attended in my youth with no ear protection. Well over 100 different bands I've seen, mid-80's thru early 90's!

Paying the price now.

Anyways, read an article one day and decided to try the reccomendations.

I stopped all caffeine and removed diet soda(aspertame=poison), cold turkey. My tinnitus has improved since. It's still there, but not as bad.

Fortunately my hearing is still good.

Even with the constant buzzing/ringing---"cicadas" My hearing isn't real bad - I do hear ok , that's not the problem - It's what I don't hear -

I would have never thought I wouldn't be able to hear a rattlesnake at less than 3 ft. To be honest - it's actually now a life and death situation for me.

Here agin - I never gave much thought as to where I sit or walk - If anyone has been out in the desert since all the rain - guess what folks - everything is over grown - you can not see the paths anymore what was an easy open walk is now a catclaw jungle and grasses/shrubs knee high

I posted this as a warning to be safe and do not think you can hear everything - especially if you have tinnitus - go get your hearing checked - I see getting hearing aids in the near future for my self - oh well social security is next - lol