Couzer

Scouting 101

Scouting? I drew a tag and don't have the time to scout? Where should I go? I never hunted the unit? This is my first hunt ever, where should I look? Do you have a GPS coordinates to a spot I can find game at big buck at?

I have recently received a PM just about asking me every question in the book about a unit. My first thought was wow? Really?

Seems like these questions come up right before the hunting seasons open. Instead of being negative and being a jerk I thought I would start a thread to help others out in what to expect. I am no expert, and have asked close friends where should I start looking in a unit that I have never hunted. I think the the best advise though is boots on the ground with a good pair of Binos in hand. What other advise can you all give?

• Like 1

Before hitting the key board..hit the hills. Just get out there and try. Every unit was new to someone at some point. That's my advice. But I've spent a lot of time wandering the hills in new units.

• Like 1

The age of digital hunting. I too, receive P.M's every season from brand new members e-scouting. The sad thing is, some won't even thank you for any info you offer, and never hear from them again.

Pick a spot, and go hunting.

• Like 2

Yes those questions are excessive however I feel nothing is wrong with asking for a little tip or pointed In the right direction. I'm sure you feel the same way I do. I personally have PMed other members here in hopes of getting a starting point for some areas I haven't set foot in. Personally for me In college I don't have the time or money to go out and scout as much as I would like to so I take to google earth and great sites like this to make the time I do have Scouting worth while. I have gotten some great great tips from members here and am always very appreciative! Now I know your not talking about that your talking about the new people who just plain ol want an exact location and yes that is frustrating I'm sure. I agree nothing beats boot rubber and binos. Only advise I can give is for those asking for help at least have specific questions don't just ask to get a honey hole

• Like 1

BOOT LEATHER! BOOT LEATHER! BOOT LEATHER!

The following isn't meant to knock all the guys that say boot leather but I think this would be a good start to all those first time posts of "drew a tad in (unit) and I've never been there"

It's always the same advice but if you're trying to learn a new unit you've never been in I would start by DRIVING! DRIVING! DRIVING! Go drive all the major forest service roads in the unit, learn where your boundaries are, go check out the areas from the "where to hunt" on the G&F site and see what you think about how those areas look. Check all the tanks and Water holes you drive by to see what kind of traffic they are getting. Mark the ones you think look good on your GPS, Mark every where you see the specific game you plan to hunt (male of female). Look at all the different terrains and elevations the unit has to offer and focus on areas that might suit your style better. Mark areas you think would be good glassing spots or an area you might want to walk. A lot of animals can be seen driving the roads and may help you narrow down a general area you want to focus on. Look at maps and mark them up, Google earth, find the canyons, the meadows, clearings, burns, creeks, rivers, mountains, thicker areas that offer bedding spots, open spots that offer feeding, saddles, camping spots, where you see the most people. Basically just go drive around and pay attention to everything.

One of the big things In my opinion though is go drive the unit to help you get some what familiar with what you have to work with in that particular unit and see all of your options and then start using the boot leather. Either way it takes a lot of time to really learn a unit but you'll never learn anything until you go take a look see for yourself.

• Like 2

I agree, boots on the ground is the best way to learn a unit. I put in for units that I don't know much about, but will go out and start glassing, checking for sign until I find something. If I dont see anything, I'll move to another area. Some spots are better than other in past years. But to actually know if the area is good it's best to go look for yourself. I will admit I have asked for spots to when I started out, I'm not trying to say I havent, but I wish I knew back then the best thing is to actually get off my lazy bum and go look for myself. I feel 100% more confident going into a hunt that I have scouted before it starts.

Id start with the 'where to hunt' section on the g&f site, move to fs maps and topo maps, then drive and then hike. Cant go wrong.l

• Like 1

Game and Fish website gives you a basic starting point. Check some topos for the right kind of terrain and features in those general areas, then get out there and check it out.

• Like 1

So y'all cant help me? My hunt is in 2 weeks, been there once but there were rocks in the road (nearly spilled my latte) so I'm looking elsewhere.

• Like 2

Never been to a unit this is my flow ...

#1- Game and Fish Areas to hunt ... Easy to get primary areas

#2- Next - Google earth ..... So much you can find by starting with G&F info and then using google earth to come up with a plan that will get you far enough away from the bulk of hunters that hug close to the roads ... I like using the ground view and walking the digital terrain as well as setting date and times to show actual sun locations on hills, draws, and canyons for hunt

#3 Talk to friends not for specific details but if you know a few that know the area often you find agreed upon areas ( so good places to start)

1-3 can take all but a couple days before a weekend comes leading to ....

#4 - get out and hit the hills , walk away from roads and be patient in your glassing ....

I have done this every time and never had an issue finding game .....

• Like 4

Dang, I feel left out. I never get hit up for hunting spots. ;).

Brian

• Like 1

I am blessed to live in a central location with great hunting all around me. I go hiking ,small game hunting and woodcutting in the areas I am interested in and that is how I find my spots I like. When I put in for tags the first thing I do is ask myself " do I have the time, resources to make this a quality hunt?". Then I pick my hunt units. I don't put in for a dream hunt and then panic and stress about how I'm gonna get my tag filled. Google earth is awesome for finding roads/ trails and water. Those forest service maps are not always accurate as far as water locations and road locations.i went scouting this weekend. Boy do my feet hurt.found out that the elk are not anywhere near where they were when I tagged out last year. Gonna pick a different location and get more boots to the ground this weekend.

• Like 1

I go out to the unit 1-2 weeks before the hunt and blow on my deer call, sight in my rifle into a few likely looking canyons, listening to loud hard rock music, bang pots and pans, then get on a high spot and watch which way the deer go.

• Like 1