Sign in to follow this  
stoney4325

1 out of 2 ain't bad

My son was lucky this year and drew the youth deer and elk hunts. Of course, they were for the same week in two different units. He decided he wanted to go for deer first (to redeem himself from last year. That's another story). Opening day we had 5 cows within shooting range and saw a lot of little bucks running with does. As we were heading home that nite, a nice 4 pt and 3x4 crossed in front of us. We gps'd the location to return the next morning. Saturday morning we were ready and found this guy within 5 minutes. Mas made a great shot and put him down. This is his first deer and we're both dang happy with it.

I had to work so we only had one full day for his elk hunt. We went to a good spot and immediately heard bulls bugling and cows talking. We got on them but couldn't seal the deal. This was the most fun I've ever had elk hunting. The elk were sounding off like crazy. We did have one shot but a calf was danger close so i told him not to shoot. In hind sight, he could've made the shot but we agreed it was probably better not to.

post-8587-0-27942100-1413515697_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Congrats to the hunter! I'd take that as a first buck anyday.

Congrats on his first buck and teaching good ethics (elk). Sometimes the best shot is the one not taken!

AATW!