Coues 'n' Sheep

Opinions wanted on Heavy duty trucks

What engineering marvel or phenomenon makes the 6.7 different than any other POS Ford has bent the american consumer over the table with? Ford loves to build it, sell it and let the customer test it! Then they build something different and said process repeats. Anything Ford designs should be labeled "Experimental". If they spent half the money on Research and Development as they do marketing, they wouldn't be such a mediocre auto manufacturer. Ford Motor Company and Murphy's Law go together like whiskey and hunting.

Well smart guy, ford didnt build or design their 6.0 or 6.4. They tried contracting it out which was dumb. The 6.7 was designed and built by ford, same as their 7.3. Both great motors. Go on with your bashing fanboy

International built all Ford's diesel motors from the 6.9L NA diesel in 1980's until the new 6.7L came out. The 7.3L was the best diesel Ford ever had, and that was replaced by the 6.0L which was the worst. I don't know enough about the new 6.7L to make an educated statement on it. Some people have great success with a 6.0L but there are a lot out there that don't. A good friend of mine just paid upwards of $5000 to get the topend of his 6.0L with 140K rebuilt because of the EGR system, including 1 new cylinder head because it was cracked.

International is also using the Cummins in some of there smaller product offerings now too.

For the past 12 years my in laws and been trading in and out of the newest model trucks. I wish I had the money to say I personally owned them. Below is my opinion based on on personal experience with them and driving, paying for maintenance etc (All of these are new 2500 models)

Dodge = best engine Cummings.....That is the only good thing I have to say about the hardware. They look good and drive good but when it boils down to it, they had the most issues

GMC Sierra and Chevy = Love the ride, love the reliability best overall truck & value in my opinion but GM cannot compete with the space in the Full Size Fords

Ford (Currently Drive) = Just as classy as they GMC. Best option for space in the cab. The ONLY thing I have had an issue with is 2 out of the last 3 I have owned had a transmission issue that would only pop up after towing long distances. I don't drive my trucks like I stole them so I know that's not the issue. I have been told this transmission issue pops up every now and then but no one could give me a solution to keep it from happening in the future. I tow a heavy trailer for work between phoenix and and New Mexico a handful of times a year. The transmission felt like it was sticking and had trouble shifting in and out. It wouldn't last long but I would have to pull off the side of the road and then get going again.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either a GMC or FORD 2500. Every vehicle is going to have "something" to complain about but both are good brands. And while some people here are DIEHARD dodge fans- if someone gave me a free dodge truck (based upon the 3 I have I driven consistently) I would turn around and sell it.

• Like 1

What engineering marvel or phenomenon makes the 6.7 different than any other POS Ford has bent the american consumer over the table with? Ford loves to build it, sell it and let the customer test it! Then they build something different and said process repeats. Anything Ford designs should be labeled "Experimental". If they spent half the money on Research and Development as they do marketing, they wouldn't be such a mediocre auto manufacturer. Ford Motor Company and Murphy's Law go together like whiskey and hunting.

Well smart guy, ford didnt build or design their 6.0 or 6.4. They tried contracting it out which was dumb. The 6.7 was designed and built by ford, same as their 7.3. Both great motors. Go on with your bashing fanboy

I didn't know Ford owned Navistar International Corp I'm sure Ford owns Cummins too.Lets solve the common misconception right now, Navistar (Not Ford Motor Company) is the sole manufacturer of both 7.3 variants (HEUI after 1994.5 and Mechanical Injection Pre-1994) along with the 6.0 and 6.4. Do you even read the Identification Plate on the valve cover? Im not a fanboy I respect sound engineering and design which GM and Dodge conduct.

post-3586-0-21440600-1414776582_thumb.jpg

I will say one thing. If you are looking for something you can work on yourself don't get anything newer and the older Cummins have a much less cluttered engine bay. A sales lady I work with brought her husbands 2012 Ford 6.7L in to work 1 day and it wouldn't start so we popped the hood. Talk about 10lbs of poop in a 5lb bag. My 2005 Cummins is so much less cluttered and user friendly it isn't funny, and my old 98.5 was even more basic.

The Ford had a MAP sensor issue. He loves his Fords too. I used to be a hardcore GM guy but for daily driver tow rigs it would be Dodge, then Ford for me.

• Like 1

I drive a 7.3 as my work truck and it's an absolute turd when you compare it to my 6.7.

Singleshot, cleared some space please try again. Thanks.

I choose a 2014 GMC 2500HD because....

1) I liked the idea of having the tried and true Duramax engine / transmission combo.

2) the engine compartment was very crammed on the Ford, completely jammed packed. I like to service my own vehicles, and the GMC is much more open.

3). I liked the GMC body style better. It has changed for 2015.

4). Sounds funny, but the interior of the ford seemed too big for me.

5). There are tons of fords on the road (I say this as a complement to the ford truck), but I liked the idea of being different.

6) ford and Dodge seem to always have commercials saying they have the most HP or most towing capacity, but the GM is close, and I don't plan to tow a 30,000 lbs backhoe, lol. I pull a 12,000 lbs trailer as fast as I want with little effort.

The only down side of the GMC truck so far is the visible DEF tank on the passengers side, but it is hidden behind OEM side step bars. Has tons of power, and haven't had any issues. DEF isn't that big of a deal. For 2014, the DEF fill up is under the hood, the ford has it next to the diesel fill up. The GM dealer told me the GM DEF fill up was under the hood to help protect it from accidentally getting the wrong fluid, but that's probably a sales pitch.

Good luck, Bob

Well,

Ford:

First On Race Day

Chevrolet:

Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Engine Ticks :D :D :D

Really hard to go wrong with any of the new trucks minus price. I have been in and around all major diesel trucks and own an 04 6.0 and all are great. My mechanic loves the Chevy and madx250 loves the dodge. Dad rocks the dodge and neighbor runs ford. The guy that built my house had a puppy during the build and would run his Chevy at idle with ac on every day for 5 hours at my place then drive 40 miles one way home and back and to god knows where else and he went 250,000 with no issues before trading for another Chevy. Brother in law runs the ford 6.7 with literally the biggest toy hauler out there with no issues. Nuff said.

• Like 1

With my old job I drove every ford diesel made from 2000 to present, a 2012 chevy, and a few 2012 dodges. They all pulled great. Dodge was the more stout vehicle of the bunch. Chevy was the fastest, had the smallest cab, got the best mileage, and squatted bad under a load. The fords were all around a great ride. Comfortable, fast, towed great, but they were also in the shop quite a bit.

Personally I have owned a 2002 cummins, and a 2004 powerstorke. I loved the ride, the looks, and pretty much everything about the f250 except all the times it left me stranded. As with my work vehicles, injectors, HPOP, FICM, EGR, and blown head gaskets are the norm. My cummins was a beast, but it rode like a tank, and I had transmission issues frequently.

If i was to buy a new rig, i would get a ram 2500 with the big HEMI and call it good. I've had 2 2500 with the HEMI and no complaints. I miss the sound and smell of the older diesels(not this new quite crap) but I cant justify an oil burner anymore.

• Like 1

I will follow ctafoya advice then and buy a RAM 2500 then.... I some how need to come up with $50,000. I have been looking at the used ones too.. I cant believe that a 2006 to a 2008 Dodge Ram truck have already more than 200,000 miles on them! :o Is that normal?? How many miles can you put a Diesel engine before you start having all kinds of problems?

Thanks... Ernesto C

I like what I am hearing about the new 6.7 Fords... but would like to hear what guys think about the brand new chevys... Tha