daverp

Nephew's U10 "Big Bo" buck...

Just returned Monday night from spending 10 days hunting U10 on the Boquillas with my brother and his son, and wanted to share a very nice success story.

This is the boy's first buck, and first filled tag. He's a U10 veteran, having had had two U10 deer hunts (to include this one), a U10 rifle bull hunt, and a javelina hunt in another unit. The stars just never seemed to align, and we've had a heck of a time getting him on an animal during previous hunts.

This young man hunted hard, day in and day out, despite suffering from debilitating chronic migraines and other ailments that make it such that his even being able to get out of bed and camp for a day's hunting a hit or miss proposition, and a very real struggle for him at times. The boy was up and climbing hills to glassing points in the dark of the morning each day he was able, and walking out in the dark each night after the evening's glassing.

He was finally able to close the deal on this buck on the afternoon of the last day of the hunt with a difficult but perfectly placed shot at 80 yards to close the deal on a beautiful and hard to come by U10 buck. The buck's lower half was obscured by brush, and he was able to maintain focus and composure to sneak a round in just over the brush into the top of the buck's lungs, making a heck of a shot allowing him to tag this handsome buck. He and his father followed the blood trail for less than 100 yards, leading him to his hard earned trophy.

The smile on this young man's face in the fairly crappy "sunset photo" tells the story. A smile ready to explode his face. Not the best picture, but my favorite of the bunch.

Enjoy.

post-1213-0-60394500-1415258231_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-37356300-1415258365_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-16481300-1415258532_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-29248700-1415258564_thumb.jpg

post-1213-0-94124800-1415259732_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

That is a very nice Buck Congrats.

Love them big 'old unit 10 bucks, congrats! I'll be there in Jan chasing those rutted up bucks with my bow, can't wait!

What a great looking buck!