5guyshunting

questionable shots

Two dead bucks, looks like a success to me. Don't get all bent out of shape about what other people say on here. If long range hunting isn't for them then oh well, doesn't mean you have to feel bad for doing it. We successfully took four bucks this year with the shortest distance being mine at 505 yards, the other three were at 540, 650 and 720. Don't let anyone tell you how to eat your pie, it's yours, dig in. The animal was recovered and didn't go to waste, congrats on your deer.

The best post!

At least the OP had the stones to admit he screwed up a shot. I think almost anybody who has actually hunted and hunted for several years has made bad shots or shots that were rushed, missed or even had a wounded loss. Most will never admit it. I applaud anybody that does. I did some of the most piss poor shooting this year at my elk. In the end, I hit him a little off my point of aim but still dropped him where he stood. The wind was worse that I had judged in not only speed but how it was being funneled in different areas by the lay of the land. I didn't have the time to set up calmly and really analyze the wind. The bulls caught our scent and came boiling out of the timber headed for the horizon. With the bull of my dreams with in my comfortable range, I laid down, ranged him, dialed, gave my best guess on the wind on the fly, held off using the mil marks and let her rip. I missed clean. My guide would call the range and his best guess on the wind. This went on for a few shots until my guide saw where I hit. He stopped at 598, I readjusted for the wind based on my guides response and dropped him with the next shot.

Was it a questionable shooting opportunity? At my first assessment of the situation, I didn't think so. In hind sight, I believe so. Why did I continue to shoot? I guess because a shot was taken and I hate giving up on anything. The bull I wanted was in front of me, I was already set up and it's human frickin nature to keep shooting until you hit your target.

Right or wrong, it was the heat of the moment and it all happened so fast. I wasn't in the 'let's reason this out' mode where common sense would have said it was time to let it go and was full throttle shoot mode focused on the task at hand.

Like az_shooter said "Don't let anybody tell you how to eat your pie, it's yours, dig in".

• Like 2

Two dead bucks, looks like a success to me. Don't get all bent out of shape about what other people say on here. If long range hunting isn't for them then oh well, doesn't mean you have to feel bad for doing it. We successfully took four bucks this year with the shortest distance being mine at 505 yards, the other three were at 540, 650 and 720. Don't let anyone tell you how to eat your pie, it's yours, dig in. The animal was recovered and didn't go to waste, congrats on your deer.

The best post!

At least the OP had the stones to admit he screwed up a shot. I think almost anybody who has actually hunted and hunted for several years has made bad shots or shots that were rushed, missed or even had a wounded loss. Most will never admit it. I applaud anybody that does. I did some of the most piss poor shooting this year at my elk. In the end, I hit him a little off my point of aim but still dropped him where he stood. The wind was worse that I had judged in not only speed but how it was being funneled in different areas by the lay of the land. I didn't have the time to set up calmly and really analyze the wind. The bulls caught our scent and came boiling out of the timber headed for the horizon. With the bull of my dreams with in my comfortable range, I laid down, ranged him, dialed, gave my

best guess on the wind on the fly, held off using the mil marks and let her rip. I missed clean. My guide would call the range and hisbest guess on the wind. This went on for a few shots until my guide saw where I hit. He stopped at 598, I readjusted for the windbased on my guides response and dropped him with the next shot.

Thanks , my first shot hit so I was committed, and when that happens that is where my tag goes . If I didnt find him and kill him my hunt would have been over. I hunted I found , I shot , and I hunted some more, I shot again and kilt him. Not pretty , but done. I have never lost an animal that I have shot , except some yotes.

Was it a questionable shooting opportunity? At my first assessment of the situation, I didn't think so. In hind sight, I believe so. Why did I continue to shoot? I guess because a shot was taken and I hate giving up on anything. The bull I wanted was in front of me, I was already set up and it's human frickin nature to keep shooting until you hit your target.

Right or wrong, it was the heat of the moment and it all happened so fast. I wasn't in the 'let's reason this out' mode where common sense would have said it was time to let it go and was full throttle shoot mode focused on the task at hand.

Like az_shooter said "Don't let anybody tell you how to eat your pie, it's yours, dig in".

Hey 5guyshunting, I only counted four of you. Where's the fifth guy? Nice deer. I am also not a fan of long range shooting. Too many amateurs attempting it because it's the THING TO DO. Glad you had a successful hunt.

• Like 1

I missed a 116 inch 4 point that my brother ended up killing the next day at a 150 yards 7 times once. I had a bad case of the fever that day. Crap happens. Could have wounded him on any one of those shots. I've seen far more mess ups under 300 yards in the field than over 500. Glad you got him and he didn't have to suffer anymore.

I think I would kick my own butt if I did that. Sorry to hear, but yeah, it happens. The Fever gets you.
. I was really down after totally messing that chance up but seeing my brother with the buck was awesome. Ended up getting a mulligan cause 2 days later I shot a 113 buck at 450. I learned far more from my mess ups than when things went right.
  • Like 1

Hey 5guyshunting, I only counted four of you. Where's the fifth guy? Nice deer. I am also not a fan of long range shooting. Too many amateurs attempting it because it's the THING TO DO. Glad you had a successful hunt.

The 5 for 7 post for unit 21 does show 5guys were killed, so thats 4guys and one female successful. Thanks

Glad you recovered him anyway. I like long range shooting for putting down a wounded animal. Not a fan of it for the first shot. Cool you guys took two bucks almost at the same time. That's always a good feeling.

• Like 1

I've been blessed and have killed multiple deer over 500 yards. I am not sure why everyone is all about the long range shooting anymore because to be honest all I've proved those times is I am a better shooter than I am a hunter. Having said that some things in life don't need repeated or talked about. We all have moments we're not proud of but we leave them in the truck or on the hill side.

Good job recovering Your deer. My only controversy is Your clocks time. Most of us don't go by o6000 hours or what You are talking about SIR .Was it AM or Pm. Hope He tastes good.............BOB!

My wife and I screwed up the first time we killed a deer. I shot mine in the spine(was still dead within a minute) and my wife blew out the hips on hers. 30 minute hike to find it curled up in a bush before she could finish it off. Fever got us. Now we have better optics and understand how to correctly use them and practice a lot more. I am now confident in shots to 600 yards, but if the wind is going I wont do it. I just don't have the experience yet to accurately make that kind of adjustment. Nothing wrong with making mistakes as long we learn from it and move on. I'm sure everyone on here at one time or another has made a bad call laps in judgement a quick change in conditions buck fever whatever that has led to a less then desirable shot.

• Like 1

I would have given the first deer another mercy shot after seeing his eye blinking and looking around. I saw the comment you made on your youtube video about not posting opinions. If you don't want to hear people's opinions don't lay it out for the world to see.

Go take your opinion to a bird watching website

My daughter took a long shot of almost 35 yards and killed a 3x4 muley today. Heavy wind to boot. No I didnt miss a zero either. Spot and stalk and shoot. Got to rub it in a little so I figured why not here. That thing called boot leather is a great tool when used effectively.

• Like 2

My daughter took a long shot of almost 35 yards and killed a 3x4 muley today. Heavy wind to boot. No I didnt miss a zero either. Spot and stalk and shoot. Got to rub it in a little so I figured why not here. That thing called boot leather is a great tool when used effectively.

I know all about boot leather. My oldest son ,17 killed one at 50 yards. Another in our group killed and it was a 1 1/2 mile pack out.

Great job ! Concrats to you both.