Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

One-in-a-Million???

Guest oneshot

I have heard that it is a "one-in-a-million" chance for a Sahuaro to be "crowned". Not sure about that number, but they are a rare and cool thing to find...

I know of three that are next to roads, west side of I-19southbound by the Sahuarita exit sign, San Xavier exit I-19 northbound, and one at the S-curves on Sahuarita rd, eastside of rd.( I have found a few others while out and about away from roads also)...

post-1378-0-78635900-1417003190.jpg

The "Crowned" or "Crested" saguaro. I have heard it is from either a hormonal imbalance, bacteria or virus infection, or just a genetic mutation. Whether or not that is true, they are very rare, and amazing to see. I know I have seen three as well. I need to go back to the best one I know of and photograph it with my good camera, with a great sunrise.

Thanks for posting this.

That is cool. I've never seen one either. Will have to make a trip south with the camera! Thanks for sharing.

I miss seeing saguaros, in general, but I miss seeing those, especially. I know the three you are referring to from my days living in Tucson and I know of several more. Thanks for the great trip down memory lane!

Ive found a few in the outback. Very cool to find.

No saguaro here . 2 degrees and 6-7" fresh snow. That is a great one You found there. You guys enjoy that desert. WE lived in it for 34 years and took it for granted. Even tho I allways said to the wife its one of the most Beautiful places in the world. Can't wait to move back. I enjoyed every time out in the desert, and had several cactus on our acre in Cave Creek. Nothin more majestic than a big buck standing in a saguaro forrest..........BOB!

There's several north of lake Pleasent. A friend of mine is cataloging them for a book