Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

G+F hunter survey

Back east the check stations are little markets, bait stores and sporting goods stores. I would think that it helps their small businesses. Not sure.

I would do it once retired in 4-5 years. You could prob. get guys from deer and elk associations too. heck I'd like to see whats coming out of a unit. You may end up hunting it the next year.LOL. There would be ways, but our G&F isn't creative enough to figure it out............BOB

• Like 1

If you lie on your report you could get caught if you took your animal to the taxidermist or the meat locker.All the tags are recorded and turned in to game and fish.You can bet they cross reference all these records with the surveys.

• Like 1

I always claim that I harvested even when I don't. I believe they give way too many tags and I hope this makes the harvest rates look high and just maybe the G&f will do the right thing and lower tags.

and that you wounded 6.

• Like 1

I always claim that I harvested even when I don't. I believe they give way too many tags and I hope this makes the harvest rates look high and just maybe the G&f will do the right thing and lower tags.

You might be creating the opposite effect by doing that. If G&F sees high harvest rates they might think the unit holds more deer than it really does since guys are doing so well... thus increasing the amount of tags. Who knows. I always fill it out honestly. I prefer to have accurate info when I review success rates for a particular hunt or when browsing through the MRS in eastmans. Does more harm than good to lie on the survey.
That is EXACTLY what will happen. You would think that someone so concerned with the number of tags given out would take the time to get familiar with formulas in the biannual guidelines that the Department uses to set the number of tags, but I guess it's just easier to complain than to actually participate in the process.

Hunter success is one of the three variables that go into the equation. Higher hunter success can mean more tags issued because it is interpreted to mean that the unit is underutilized.

Easy check point= every hunter sends in a dated pic of his animal with gut pile and tag attached. And a clear close up of self, license, and tag on animal. If no success then a dated pic of unused tag, license and self the day after the season closes. You all know how to do a selfie right? LOL

Why wouldn't people fill out the survey? And why would hunters feel like they need to lie. Decisions have to be made on statistical data - that is kind of the basis for science. And last I checked, Wildlife Biology is a science and science is data driven. It is really too bad that some hunters feel like they need to lie on surveys to try and trick the Game and Fish one way or another.

It would be great if those who applied online, would get an email with an online survey, no postage spent by Game and Fish. This would save quite a bit of money.

Why wouldn't people fill out the survey? And why would hunters feel like they need to lie. Decisions have to be made on statistical data - that is kind of the basis for science. And last I checked, Wildlife Biology is a science and science is data driven. It is really too bad that some hunters feel like they need to lie on surveys to try and trick the Game and Fish one way or another.

It would be great if those who applied online, would get an email with an online survey, no postage spent by Game and Fish. This would save quite a bit of money.

My opinion is that "optional" will not make very good statistics. The stats they show in the regs are optional.

My issue with hunter surveys are how they are used. Game and Fish like to keep the hunter success rate around 20 to 30 percent on hunts. Success rates go up and they issue more tags to try to push the success rate back down to the 20 to 30% range. Problem with this is we as hunters are getting better with the use of high dollar optics, faster bows and rifles shooting 800 plus yards accurately. More animals taking dirt naps equals more tags to keep the success rates down to the proverbial 20-30%. Problem is does Arizona have the game numbers to sustain this type of management?

You might be creating the opposite effect by doing that. If G&F sees high harvest rates they might think the unit holds more deer than it really does since guys are doing so well... thus increasing the amount of tags. Who knows. I always fill it out honestly. I prefer to have accurate info when I review success rates for a particular hunt or when browsing through the MRS in eastmans. Does more harm than good to lie on the survey.
That is EXACTLY what will happen. You would think that someone so concerned with the number of tags given out would take the time to get familiar with formulas in the biannual guidelines that the Department uses to set the number of tags, but I guess it's just easier to complain than to actually participate in the process.

Hunter success is one of the three variables that go into the equation. Higher hunter success can mean more tags issued because it is interpreted to mean that the unit is underutilized.

Good post uglydude...it is far easier to complain than to actually do the research to understand the process.

Oh well...

Alaska harvest reports are mandatory and you will receive a nice reminder that you are not eligible for the next season if not completed by the set date.

There also needs to be a number adjustment for animals not recovered.

Maybe the data needs to be outsourced to a small business that has time to do it correctly?