Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

What's your research on these rifles?

I've been doing research for a future coyote gun. Something with low recoil, with enough weight to reach out and touch and can handle the wind better then the little .22s, This will be primarily for yotes, and maybe deer in the future if and when i choose. The 3 gun debate is the 22-250, .243, and 6.5 creedmoor. I know there are a lot of 6mms and 6.5s out there but let's keep it simple to those 3. I've seen results with .243s and the 22-250, but the 6.5 CM has really caught my eye. The problem is all the research, and writes ups and forums are all old back to 2008-2010. I know the CM is coming up swinging right now and lot more reloads and ammo for it, but I haven't seen any new write ups. So what are your guys thoughts, pros and cons, loads for a good yote round on those 3 rounds? Your answers will curve my appetite for research :)

• Like 1

My vote is 22-250 since most of the shots will be under 50 yards, providing you don't get trigger happy and let them come in as far as they will come in before something sets them off and they leave.

I have shot them out to 300 yards with it but maybe only one out of 20. You up the caliber you increase the recoil. You can shoot 55gr's in 243 if you want something with a higher BC but you will not be as successful calling on days when wind is blowing fast enough to make much of a difference between the two calibers.

If you want a Yote gun get a 22-250 and then later get a separate gun to shoot deer with. One option if to get a Savage then you can get separate barrels to switch out.

• Like 1

I do a lot of coyote hunting and wouldn't use anything but an ar platform. My buddy shoots a .243 loaded with 70 grain bullets and hammers the dogs. I use a 243 wssm and it kills any dog, cat, javelina I hit, no matter where the bullet hits them. Find an ar-10 chambered in .243 and never look back. David

• Like 1

For what you sound like you are after I would say 243. From varmint to deer with the same round no problem. He'll if you are good with it and get a good shot it would do an elk up just fine. If you stick that 100 grain bullet where it needs to be anything in this state will fall down short of maybe a buffalo.

It is a proven round and isn't going anywhere.

i do not see you mention a rifle, only cartridges. it is the rifle not the cartridge that determines the capability.

Sorry it is cartridge. Once I establish a cartridge I want I'll probably look really hard into a rifle.

I do a lot of coyote hunting and wouldn't use anything but an ar platform. My buddy shoots a .243 loaded with 70 grain bullets and hammers the dogs. I use a 243 wssm and it kills any dog, cat, javelina I hit, no matter where the bullet hits them. Find an ar-10 chambered in .243 and never look back. David

David is spot on with this. Besides a shotgun, my ar is the only firearm I use for coyotes.

• Like 1

and...why bother to call for coyotes on a 20 -25 mph wind or more? And if you are deer hunting and happen to see a coyote at a 300 plus yards and you make the decision to shoot at it I bet you'll take the shot wont matter what caliber of the ones you mentioned you are carrying :)

I use a .222 Rem for coyotes but in one occasion the rifle I had on my hands was the 257 WBY MAG. and I put it to use :) Get the one you want/like the most.

post-2893-0-19621700-1419785931_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you want to shoot light weight bullets as in 55-70 grains get a 22-250. If you don't care about pelts then either the 243 or creedmoor will work great as a dual purpose hunter. The creedmoor gets my vote as a 140gr bullets work equally well on coyotes to elk. The creed covers more ground than the others listed and recoil is very light for the performance you get.

• Like 1