apache12

One of these days I will put an arrow in one of these

I'm a second year bow hunter having Lots of fun but more frustration

I guess I figures i woud make all the mistakes I could before I ever have success

Is it it wierd to think I might cry if I ever tag a spot and stalk mule deer?

These are from today I had a good stalk and thought I was doing all right. Glassed far away slow move into use wind and cover. Accounted for all does. Uh except one. She busted me at 200 yrds

I had clear movement if she wasnt there to get within 75 yards. Not sure what I would have done then. I'm only comfortable to 50 maybe a bit more

Back at it tomorrow. Fun stuff

post-5454-0-86420500-1419735833_thumb.jpg

post-5454-0-14638800-1419735851_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Im not going to fess up to how many years I spent chasing deer before I finally arrowed one, but i'll tell you this: it was a lot!

when I finally did get one, it was the result of sheer stubborn persistence, a lot of effort, a ton of vacation time, and some good old fashioned dumb luck. Between the dec '07-jan '08 season , I'd officially logged 14 days of hunting before I managed to stalk to within 50 yards of a nice 4x4 muley and finally wrap my tag around my first deer with any weapon.

You just have to keep after it. The good news is that after you get the first one the sense of impossibility vanishes and its much easier to drop more of them afterwards.

• Like 2

Sneaking into bow range on a buck with a bunch of does has to be the ultimate challenge. I've tried it lots of times and the closest I've gotten is - well, not very close. So many eyes and ears and the terrain is open and noisy. Just keep at it. From what I've heard, sooner or later, that guy will make a mistake. Hasn't happened for me yet, but I figure every time you get busted you learn something. And the more you fail and learn, the better your chances on the next stalk. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Doe saved a beautiful 4x4 from me yesterday morning. Stick with it man. I am in the same boat as well. Still searching for my first deer.

I am feeling your pain. I spent 3 hours stalking a Coues buck that was all alone yesterday. Glassed him up, put him to bed, and got sneaky, real sneaky. I was at 35 yds when 1 misstep brought the whole thing to a bitter, bitter end.